Atom

Lightfire

Joined Oct 5, 2010
Thank you WBahn for patience. Can you recommend me a good book for Introductory Physics? Or maybe should I attend physics class? (That is somewhat too pricey if ever here in PH) What are the necessary knowledge should I have before taking Introductory Physics?

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
The prerequisites for intro physics depend on what level the intro is at. For the courses I have any kind of experience with (which I certainly can't claim is all of them), the lowest is the physics courses offered in high school at the sophomore level (here in the U.S., a sophomore is 10th grade with junior being 11th and the final, senior, year being 12th). That course generally expects a couple years of algebra and at least concurrent enrollment in high school geometry. Then there is the junior level physics which expects that you have completed geometry and are at least taking trigonometry. Senior level physics expects that you have completed trig and may be presented in either a calculus-based manner (in which case you are generally expected to be at least presently taking a first semester calculus course) or non-calculus based. Those are the high school offerings that I am familier with, but I am sure there are variations.

At the college level, introductory physics is generally either calc-based and assumes you have completed at least Calc-I (not be currently enrolled) or non-calc based. The non-calc based is generally geared for people that are not technical majors and for whole this is likely to be the only physics course they take.

At many places, introductory physics (for technical majors) is a two course sequence, with the first course focusing on mechanics and the second course focusing on electromagnetics. Classical optics may get thrown into either course, as might special relativity and a very tiny amount of quantum mechanics. These intro courses, if done properly (IMHO) try to get a very good fundamental understanding of the what, how, and why associated with Newtonian mechanics and basic electromagnetics as it applies to DC and a bit of AC circuits and devices. The other stuff (optics and such) is more just at the what level of understanding -- in other words, the basic rules that are given are just that, given and not developed from more fundamental principles.

Once you get out of the intro course sequence you move onto more advanced courses in both mechanics and electromagnetics. In the modern physics and quantum mechanics courses, as well as the intermediate and advanced electromagnetics courses you start getting into the how and why of the way in which light and matter interact. Also in this mix are the solid state electronics courses.

As you move up this course sequence, your math background needs to grow as well by typically moving through a total of three calculus classes, differential equations, linear algebra, probability and statistics, and some kind of advanced math physics that covers a good portion of complex variables.

Lightfire

Joined Oct 5, 2010
Physics is only once taught in our high school curiculum (with due exception to Science High Schools which offers electives).

It is very amazing to see schools offering many stages of Physics...

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I'm pretty sure there are schools in the U.S., particularly in rural areas, that don't offer it at all and many other schools only offer one. But, usually, those constraints are more a reflection of the size of the school or school district, which limits the total number of classes that can be offered, more than anything else. I went to a high school that had about 1600 students and the other high school in our district was of similar size. Even then, the AP chemistry course was only offered at my school with students from the other school coming over for that one class.

Historically (and this is, unfortunately, eroding) a cornerstone of American culture has been a strong belief that a broadly well-educated populace is the most vital key to our economic success. But don't get me started down that rabbit hole.

Lightfire

Joined Oct 5, 2010
Ok. Maybe I should just pay attention at my current studies first.

Actually, I am planning to buy this book. It seems that this book covers the very basic and it was published 16 yrs ago! But then after, I don't know..