Athletics lap counter with 18-pin PICs

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Wayne.Draper, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Wayne.Draper

Thread Starter New Member

Oct 16, 2013
    A local school where I've been performing is in need of an athletic lap counter and timing system. I offered to help and little did I know what I was getting myself into!

Here is what's needed:
    • System must accommodate up to 8 tracks (or runners)
    • Number of laps counter per runner
    • Time it took to run each lap
    • Each runner will carry a wrist band with uniquely coded microchip to ensure the system doesn't mix up different runners' results.
    • System must be connected to a computer via USB. Software for the computer will be developed by myself and this will do most of the work (lap counting, timing, averages, etc)
    • The school was donated a bunch of 18-pin PICs and this is what needs to be used

The software development should be simple enough, but designing the electronics side of it is just way out of my electronic knowledge scope!

What makes this difficult, is that I offered it as a favour because they've been supporting my music and I'm not getting paid for this project. Furthermore, they have a very small budget for additional materials. I want to kick my own butt, but I have to try and go through with this!

If someone could provide me with help or refer me to an existing system that could be modified to fit the purpose, I'd be much obliged!

2. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    You can and should kick your butt, eat humble pie and gracefully bow out. Cut your losses while you can.

Wayne.Draper likes this.
  3. Wayne.Draper

Oct 16, 2013
    You know what, I've just had a look at the Freelap system from Canada and there is no way I could provide a complicated system like that with my limited knowledge and their lack of finances and PIC chips. So thank you for confirming what I actually already felt in my heart!

I think it's best I stick to singing and keep electronics a background hobby as it has always been! :)

4. Wayne.Draper

Oct 16, 2013
    Now, how do I close this thread?