AT91SAM7X512 SPI malfunctions - gets disabled on write to SPI_TDR

Discussion in 'Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers' started by dor, Feb 11, 2010.

1. dor

Thread Starter Active Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Configurations are (defined in the order of writing):

1. SPI_MR (SPI Mode Register):
      • MSTR: Master mode
      • PS: Fixed Perhipheral Select
      • PCSDEC: The chip selects are directly connected to a peripheral device.
      • PCS: Peripheral Chip Select = 0111 (NPCS[3:0] = 0111)
      • DLYBCS: Delay Between Chip Selects = 0
    2. SPI_CSR[3] (SPI Chip Select Register):
      • CPOL: Clock Polarity = 0 (The inactive state value of SPCK is logic level zero.)
      • NCPHA: Clock Phase = 1 (Data is captured on the leading edge of SPCK and changed on the following edge of SPCK.)
      • CSAAT: Chip Select Active After Transfer = 0 (The Peripheral Chip Select Line rises as soon as the last transfer is achieved.)
      • BITS: Bits Per Transfer = 0000 (8 bits)
      • SCBR: Serial Clock Baud Rate = 20
      • DLYBS: Delay Before SPCK = 0
      • DLYBCT: Delay Between Consecutive Transfers = 0
    3. SPI_CR (SPI Control Register):
      • SPIEN = 1 (Enables the SPI to transfer and receive data.)

After the configurations, the code verifies that the SPI is enabled, by checking the SPIENS bit in SPI_SR (SPI Status Register).
    All the communication is done with the SPI functions that were supplied by ATMEL. (source file attached)

I noticed that if I put a delay before the write to the SPI_TDR register, then the code works perfectly and the communications succeeds.
    But if not, then the SPI gets disabled (as I can see by watching at the SPIENS bit in SPI_SR), which makes the while() loop (that checks the TDRE bit of the SPI_SR in the SPI_Write() function) to iterate itself indefinitely.
    The amount of delay depends on the value of the SCBR register: if SCBR has a big value, then a big delay is required. A small value of SCBR requires a small delay.

Also please note that the NPCS line num. 3 is a GPIO line, and is not controlled by the SPI controller.
    I'm controlling this line by myself in the code, by de/asserting the ChipSelect#3 (NPCS3) pin when needed.
    The reason that I'm doing so is because that problems occurred while trying to let the SPI controller to control this pin.

Any ideas what's causing the problem?

Thank you!

2. dor

Feb 20, 2009
    No one experienced this before?
    Maybe someone can give me an example of how to configure the SPI interface? Thank you!
  3. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    How long of a delay is required before it operates as expected?

Is there a number of instructions required to pass before the change is written?
  4. dor

Feb 20, 2009
    If SCBR is programmed to 20, then a delay of about 800 micro-seconds is required.

Not that I know of.