At long last... The bagpipes...

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
Hi all,

I promised to post a video of me playing my bagpipes when I reached post 100... That time has since long past... I thought you might like to take a look.

Here's the link to my band's YouTube page. We're quite a young band as we've only been around for 2 years, but already we're trying to increase numbers as much as possible! I'd really appreciate it if you could take one or two minutes and check some of the videos out.

http://www.youtube.com/user/CCPipeBand?feature=watch

I personally like the "Welcome" video the best.:)

If you like it, could you thumbs up and subscribe. If you don't then... thumbs up as well?:)

I'll try to get a solo video of me up later.

Sparky

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Didn't know, but I just subscribed and thumbed the first video (in a good sort of way).

Why does it matter? And which one is you?

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
We kind of need a higher profile. Also, there's a bit of rivalry between us and another local band. There's a lot of politics when it comes to pipe bands, like you wouldn't believe.:rolleyes:

If you go to this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqOmTGGEfec

I'm on the far left at 0:23.

When we're marching past the camera at about 1:40, I'm on the front rank on the left (from the band's perspective) - that is the closest to the camera.

Also:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyOHnYkbojY

Skip to 2:16 for a much clearer pic.:)

Sparky

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
What's the idea of playing in a circle? I have seen a group from our police department play on a street corner and they did the same thing.

Is this traditional or maybe it is to get cues from one another?

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
You got it, we all take cues from each other.

Pipe band music is different from other forms because we tend to all play the same notes. This is because the bagpipes only have 9 notes and don't have rests, so we can only play some very resticted harmonies.:)

The "lead-piper" is watched by all the other pipers. The "lead drummer" is watched by all the snares, whilst the lead piper, lead drummer and bass drummer all work together to keep in time.

If you want to here real pipe band music watch this video from the world championships:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/worlds/2011/bands/field_marshal_montgomery/

You can really here how everything must be so 'precise' and how restricted we are when it comes to harmonies. :)

Sparky

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
Nope, many bands (ourselves included) don't have a drum major, we have to rely upon alot of practice together and playing the beats when our feet hit the floor.

One good thing about piping is that there is nowhere to put music when your playing so you have to memorise every tune.

Eventually, it becomes second nature to play close together.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
A short true story,they trained the police horses for any noise that would cause

the horse and officer a problem.The horses were leading the parade,

when the bagpipes started playing,the horses started running into

crowds.

Last edited:

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I like the Events where you guys throw the the telephone poles

and all that stuff. That a real event.
That's caber toss

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caber_toss

They throw a caber not a telephone pole. Telephones weren't yet invented when the sport was first played. So maybe they invented the telephone pole first and said to themseleves, "hey we invented these telephone poles but no one invented the telephone yet, what to we do with them? Toss them of course"! :)

And caber toss is Scottish. Not sure they do that in Englnad.

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
You'd be suprised at how many highland gatherings there are in England. In my area alone, I can think of at least 5 or 6 throughout the year.

Then there's a new one which started last year at the Isle of Wight.

Quite suprising really.

@Loosewire, i have a real story about horses and bagpipes for you...

Two years ago, I went to play at a piping competition at Chatsworth House, which is a big house with a very large estate around it. Every year it holds a country fair which lasts three days.

Anyway, the organisers seem to think that it's a great idea to put the bagpipes right next to where they hold the horses before both of our competitions...

Imagine about 20 horses in their own little area, marked off with some plastic rope...

Next thing I knew, there were about 10 horses rearing on their hind legs and many escaped from their pens, only to run around the whole fair and out into the surrounding area!:eek:

And yeah, the air was blue.:rolleyes:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Sounds similar to when my boy was in the Shriner's band for their circus. They had put the band next to where the acts were introduced out into rings. It appears the big cats have no appreciation for loud music, especially the tigers.

Next day the band was on the other side of the rings.

So you are the one in the back?

If you want me to remove this picture I will.

Attachments

Last edited:

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
Nope, I'm the one playing.

I normally have a smile on my face though.:)

I don't mind having the picture up, there are enough places with it already.:)

EDIT: Arrgh, my tie has slipped! Oh the shame!:(