Assorted Resistor and Capacitor

prescott2006

Joined Nov 8, 2008
Anyone could suggest which resistor and capacitor value that used most in homebrew project? Those project basically deal with LED and PIC. I want to buy them in bulk, but I do not know how to assort them. I wish to buy like 50 resistors and 50 capacitors. Looking forward for your help.:)

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
0.1μF caps are NEVER in shortage, especially if of high quality, such as mica. Also 0.01μF. Both are for power filtering purposes.

Resistors are typically 220-470 ohm for LED purposes.

Gate resistors are around 100 ohm, Base resistance is between 470 and 1k ohm.

With that, get a stock of "Low-ESR" Rated caps of various values. 10uF-22uF are common.

Even this will not cover all, and others will be along to cover other common component values in basic circuits.

magnethead

Joined Nov 9, 2010
Where are you located? I buy from http://www.mouser.com , Mouser Electronics. They're up the street so I do will call, but they also ship. Cheap prices, and you get choices.

Caps:
0.1uF
0.01uF
10uF
22uF
50uF (but not many)

Resistor:
220 ohm
300 ohm
470 ohm
1Kohm
3.3Kohm
10Kohm
1Mohm (but not many)

Never hurts to have a few pots on hand, maybe a 10Kohm and 5Mohm. Regular diodes too, especially if using multi-output IC's.

And your preferred assortment of LEDs.

Rbeckett

Joined Sep 3, 2010
Spark fun and the other electronics supply houses offer very inexpensive starter combos. Radio shack does too, lots of different resistor and cap values for just a few dollars. Type assortment in the search boxes at the different sites and buy the closest tolerances you can afford in the caps and resistors. It will only be a buck or two difference from the 20% tolerance stuff and will be much easier to match your actual circuit against the mathematical predictions. And a few pots as well as some basic 555's and driver chips and LED's and 7 segment displays will be way more fun. Hope this helps.
Bob

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
www.jameco.com has grab bag electronic value packs of caps, LEDS, transistors, resistors, motors, IC's, even 'mystery' boxes which have a little of Everything.

VERY good prices, and usually a wide assortment is included.

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
If you are going to be using crystals with the PIC take a look at the oscillator section for capacitor values in the 10-100pF range