Assorted computer parts for sale!

Discussion in 'Marketplace' started by DerStrom8, Apr 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DerStrom8

Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2011
    Hey everyone!

While working on building my own custom desktop computer for the past couple of months, I found myself in possession of various old computers that I'd like to part out. I've listed some of the items below. Please keep in mind this is all USED equipment, some of it is UNTESTED. However, I would not sell it if it was known to not work.

Here are some of the items I'm looking to sell:

-250GB Seagate Barracuda IDE HD
    -200GB Seagate Barracuda IDE HD
    -200GB Western Digital IDE HD
    -IDE cables
    -Rosewill 400W PSU
    -DELL 200W PSU
    -Asus K8V SE Deluxe motherboard
    -Gigabyte EX58-UD3R motherboard
    -CD/DVD RW drives:
    Model #WRR-52Z
    Model #ND-2500A
    -APEVIA X-Superalien ATXA6SW-BK/500 case, missing small piece
    -CoolerMaster Centurion 5 case w/clear side panel
    -3GB OCZ 1600mhz DDR3 RAM (3 1g cards)
    -Pentium III processor
    -AMD Athlon 64 754 processor
    -INTEL AGP VGA video card
    -2 4650 PCIe VGA/DVI/HDMI video cards
    -Assorted fans

If any of these look appealing, please send me a PM or post a response in the thread, and I'll get back to you. All items are being sold AS IS. I will ship within the US, though I'll have to ask the buyer to pay shipping. I'll ship to outside of the US, but be warned that the shipping costs will become even more expensive, and may not be worth it. All payments will be done through paypal.

Thanks for looking guys. I'd like to sell off some of this stuff so that I can buy parts for my desktop. If any of these items interest you, make me an offer!

Best wishes,
    Matt

Last edited: May 2, 2013

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    I'd follow your lead, but I haven't repaired a computer for about 3 years. In that amount of time, all my spare parts (of any value) have become obsolete:(. (I can't believe I had 7 HDDs that were less than 30 gigs! :p )

Oh well, good way to keep the clutter to a minimum...throw out the useless stuff. Leaves me with 3 CD RW's and a box of fans, and I'm not sure the CD RWs will ever get installed in anything.

DerStrom8 likes this.
  3. DerStrom8

Feb 20, 2011
    Many of the listed parts are fairly obsolete, but if you are trying to fix up an old machine they'll come in very handy. :D

4. gnuuser

Jan 17, 2013
    even obsolete parts can be used for many things
    i build custom and special purpose computers for kids and handicapped individuals (generally as freebees)
    but ive also built some systems for farms and garages
    for example one does not need a gaming class system for monitoring livestock and keeping breeding records, and you certainly wouldnt want a media center computer in a garage.

Brownout likes this.
  5. Natakel

Oct 11, 2008
    I second that . . . I find it amazing what some people consider "old" and just toss out. I've inherited a bunch of older computers over the years. I like to refurbish the ones that still boot, upgrading them where I can with parts from "dead" computers. I give these to folks that need a computer but can't afford one.

Fact is, most people use their computers for simple tasks like e-mail, chatting, light surfing, and perhaps some light flash gaming - nothing really processor intense. A Pentium III computer with a video card from the last 10 years is still a viable option for that kind of user. I have a PIII 1GHZ computer based on a D815EEA board that has a Radeon 9800 Pro AGP card. It does very well with most older games and such. Not big on multi-tasking, but the average user doesn't multi-task all that much anyway, IMO.

It now lives in the guest room and is rarely used anymore, but I can depend on the thing to boot up without fail. I'm attached to it because it was the first new computer I built . . . and while it cannot hold a candle to my most recent build (i5 3.1GHZ, 16GB Ram, Twin 500 GB harddrives, Radeon HD 6850 video card) for general internet usage, it's still a decent rig.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2013

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    I'm with you there. I have never bought a computer. The Geek Squad at Best Buy is my best friend. They keep telling people that their computer is unfixable. I get the computer, install a new HDD and reload the OS and it's mine!

This one is a Gateway with AMD dual core@2.6GHz running Vista. It only struggles on one site, Pottermore. (The fans get running fast enough to hear.) I gave up on the XP computer because it couldn't stream any kind of video. It just stutters. Still, it's good for going to the bank site once or twice a month and paying bills. It's my, "low risk" computer.

7. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    My daily desktop will be 10 years old soon. It is 3.4 GHz P4 with hyperthreading and 2GB ram. Works fine, mostly because it still runs Windows XP. Latest version of MPLab, TINA and DesignSpark all work fine.

The newer versions of Windows use so much RAM that they kill older computers. It feels like Microsoft is working with the hardware manufactures to obsolete old hardware by burdening the system with new software bells and whistles.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
  8. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    My computer was build around 2000 or so, then upgraded as I found the parts to where it is now. It has served me well, but it is time for a new one (finally). Reason, the motherboard is getting flaky, I get serious errors occasionally for no apparent reason, even after a reinstall of the OS (XP Pro). PATA drives of the large sizes are getting hard to find (I have a 500Gig unit), and the hardware has advanced enough where it is worth getting a new old computer. I will probably wind up with a multi terabit drive, a modern video card (I do some CAD work), and Windows 7 along with Linux. I am also a patient person, I will wait for a deal to come to me, just like always, you can save a lot of money that way.

As for old hardware, in general I totally agree. However, my garage is starting to fill up. My pack rat gene is strong, and it is time to make space.

9. DerStrom8

Feb 20, 2011
    I agree with all that was said. Just because some parts are outdated doesn't mean they're still useful. The parts I'm trying to sell can be put together into a very decent, powerful machine, even for gaming (if that's what you're into). It won't be top-of-the-line, but it's certainly not at the bottom, even though the parts are upwards of 5 years old. I'm sure you could get another 5 years use out of it, easily.

Matt

10. inuyasha2876

Aug 31, 2013
    Could you list the prices that your selling them at next to the part?

11. DerStrom8

Feb 20, 2011
    I am glad you asked, as I was thinking of creating a new list (as some of the parts have been sold already). Let me put together that list and I'll post it in a few minutes.

Regards,
    Matt

12. DerStrom8

Feb 20, 2011
    Here's the updated list with new items added and taken items removed:

-250GB Seagate Barracuda IDE HD ($30)
    -200GB Seagate Barracuda IDE HD ($25)
    -200GB Western Digital IDE HD ($25)
    -IDE cables ($10 for the lot)
    -Rosewill 400W PSU ($30)
    -Asus K8V SE Deluxe motherboard ($25)
    -Gigabyte EX58-UD3R motherboard ($100)
    -CD/DVD RW drives:
    Model #WRR-52Z ($10)
    Model #ND-2500A ($10)
    -APEVIA X-Superalien ATXA6SW-BK/500 case, missing small piece ($35)
    -CoolerMaster Centurion 5 case w/clear side panel ($40)
    -3GB OCZ 1600mhz DDR3 RAM (3 1g cards) ($25 for all 3)
    -Pentium III processor (unknown socket) ($15)
    -AMD Athlon 64 754 processor ($15)
    -Intel Core i7 920 LGA 1366 processor (2.66GHz) ($130)
    -NVIDIA GeFORCE 2MX AGP VGA video card ($15)
    -ATI 109-A18800-10 AGP VGA/DVI/S-Video graphics card ($35)
    -ATI Radeon X1650 Pro PCIe dual-DVI/S-Video graphics card ($35)

Matt

13. DerStrom8

Feb 20, 2011
    And again, most prices are negotiable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.