Assistance wiring a 3 speed box fan rotary switch

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Grenadineflaps, Sep 11, 2016.

1. Grenadineflaps

Thread Starter New Member

Sep 11, 2016
    I am attempting to replace a Lasko box fan 3 speed rotary switch. I was wondering if anyone could help me determine: a) if this switch has the same capabilities as the original, and b) how to wire it up.

I am confused because the replacement switch only has 4 input terminals, while the original has 6. If I need to include a 120v on/off switch into the circuit I have the switch already, and would like wiring instructions, too. Thank you!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The replacement switch pictured below has 2 terminals on each side:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Grenadineflaps

Sep 11, 2016
  3. Grenadineflaps

Sep 11, 2016
    Is this diagram correct if I use my own on/off switch?
    image_62549.jpg

4. SLK001

Nov 29, 2011
    The neutral is just a thru on the original switch. Your schematic is correct, except the on-off switch is probably not needed. Check the new switch to see if there are 4 positions. If so, one of them is "OFF".

5. Grenadineflaps

Sep 11, 2016
    How annoying, after all of that work it wasn't the switch that was bad. It must be the motor, or some other component I am not familiar with. I tested the new switch and it was doing its job. I might as well spend the $30 on a new one.

I never included this info but I found this fan in the trash and thought I could bring it back to life. The motor wasn't seized up so I assumed it was good.