ask for ideas for saving power.

electr

Joined May 23, 2009
Hey,
I would like to build up a device which will save power.
I currently hold a few ideas, like putting computer into sleep mode, and others.

I would like to hear your ideas of how to save power.

Thank you in advance.

steinar96

Joined Apr 18, 2009
You can't exactly build an external device that for example puts computers into sleep mode.

Power is usually dissipated inside devices and thus have to be constructed to be efficient to actually "save" power compared to a less efficient version of the same device.

Capacitors and Inductors do store power. But you cant really hook them up to random devices such that they will save "unused" power by the device.

I might be misunderstanding your post. But it sounds like you are looking for something that isnt possible.

electr

Joined May 23, 2009
To Steinar,
I know I can since there's already a device that puts computer into sleep mode, and it was just an example.
So if a computer consumes 100W (throwing a number) when active, and 1W when sleeping, and your extrenal device consumes 5W, then every time you used the device to put the computer into sleep mode, you saved 94W.

I'm looking for different ideas of course, anything you've ever heard of.

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
Electricity is still very cheap relative to average income compared to what it was 50 years ago.

Look back 50 years you would be suprised to find out how few KWhours they used. Then look at how they did it.

Little things like dont boil saucepans without a lid,
Big things like use cold water 6 days a week and have the immersion heater on for 2 hours only on Sunday.
Very few had central heating and those that did used gravity fed systems without a constantly running pump.
Turn the TV and radio off when not in use......................

Turning to the device you want to build; there is already a plethora of such devices on the commercial market.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
You've seen the IR sensors on the light switch. Light switch timers are also good, very few lights need to stay on all day. Anything that can turn something off without you actually having to do something is good. I like the hot water idea.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
A programmable thermostat is pretty good for that. Plus keeping the temp a bit lower in winter and higher in summer than you might like. We keep the house at 80 deg in the summer - I suspect we save quite a bit over two of our kids that keep their houses down at 68 deg.