[ASK] About Servo

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by hokageleads, Oct 2, 2008.

1. hokageleads

Thread Starter New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Hello Everyone,

I'm working on a project, it's about to control several dc servo motor with different torque (max 25kgcm @4,8v = DS8711). What i'm asking is ..
    1. What driver that would sufficient to control the motor, considering the heavy current needed by the motor (currently using ULN2003)
    2. Can I have examples of the C codes to control the motor, I use ATMEGA8535 Microcontroller & CVAVR Programmer (just simple one will do)

And i like to discuss further about dc servo motor.
    Thanks.

Shi

2. hgmjr

Jan 28, 2005
    Do you have a schematic that you can post?

hgmjr

3. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
  4. scubasteve_911

Dec 27, 2007
    Your servo already has control electronics built in. You just ensure that the supply to the servo is sufficient, then give it the usual servo control pulses. ie. 1.5mS null, ~2mS full clockwise, 1mS full counterclockwise..

Steve

this is assuming you are using the following servo motor

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=JRPS8711

5. hokageleads

Oct 2, 2008
    here u go .....

6. hokageleads

Oct 2, 2008
    thx, but the motor is a little bit different with the one i used ..

7. hokageleads

Oct 2, 2008
    can u explain what's the difference of the pulses that u mentioned ..

i still don't get it.

8. scubasteve_911

Dec 27, 2007
    The electronics for a hobby-type servo are built in, no need to build bridges and etc for the motor. You just need to apply the control pulses and power.

http://www.seattlerobotics.org/guide/servos.html

explains the control signal

The problem is the ambiguity of what a servo is. Technically, it is an actuator that has position feedback, so that qualifies a lot of things. I searched the part number you gave and found a hobby servo

Steve

9. hokageleads

Oct 2, 2008
    thx .. that's helpful

Last edited: Oct 3, 2008
  10. hokageleads

Oct 2, 2008
    the next problem is the heavy current produced by the motor because it's torque. I still use 1 servo motor .. if i add 3 or 4 more i don't think the ULN2003 will be able to handle the motor, the current needed by the motor by using my driver is almost 1A, any solution??

11. scubasteve_911

Dec 27, 2007
    I am still confused to why you need the ULN2003. You just simply supply the voltage to the servo, then vary the control signal... It has the electronics built in to do this. It isn't like powering a motor directly, there are electronics integrated.

Steve

besides, there probably isn't much more than 1-2A going into this thing. You may only get power from: voltage X current or torque X speed, we have voltage, torque, but do not have speed or current. I saw a specified speed, but it didn't have an associated torque.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2008
  12. hokageleads

Oct 2, 2008
    I use ULN2003 because the servo won't give the required torque when a mechanical load applied. Using only the current supplied by the uC won't be sufficient. I conclude this because I know that DC motor require more current to gain more torque. Power is voltage x current, the power required become larger as the mechanical load applied, and so does the current needed by the motor.

That's why I separate the driver circuit from the uC board (using optoiso) and use ULN2003 (to amplify the current). If it's not separated (have the same common ground) then
    1. The heavy current may damage other component like 7805 or the uC
    2. The uC board can't supply sufficient current so the motor won't move when load applied
    Beside using ULN2003 can save some batteries (proven) ..

I still can't find a better way (which is also reliable and safe) ..