AS358 Lithium charger circuit

eyesee

Joined Oct 19, 2013
I have a commercial Lithium charger which uses a dual AS358M Op-Amp IC and is based on the circuit below. I am trying to understand how the charger functions and also how to adjust the charge rate?

upload_2014-9-6_18-48-6.png

Last edited:

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
You might be better off not messing with a lithium charger unless you *REALLY* know what you're doing!

If you overcharge a lithium cell, it can vent with flaming gas - There has been a spate of serious house fires in the UK, mostly because of cheapskates jumping on the E-cigarette bandwagon and designing dodgy lithium chargers with no end of charge shut off!

eyesee

Joined Oct 19, 2013
I am familiar with the CC/CV charge termination method that most Lithium chargers use. I am just curious how the above circuit works as I have seen similar designs used in other commercial chargers. I presume one of the resistors will set the CC charge rate but not sure which one?

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

None of the values is given in your drawing.
Also nothing is mentioned about the SMPS block.
At R2 it says current sensing.

Bertus

eyesee

Joined Oct 19, 2013
Hello,

None of the values is given in your drawing.
Also nothing is mentioned about the SMPS block.
At R2 it says current sensing.

Bertus
The circuit is taken from a datasheet for the AS358 IC - it is a suggested design. I will try and measure exact component values and map out the circuit of the charger I have.