Arrrrrrhg! Any Privateers out there beware!

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
I got ye ole letter from the native county of TWC saying my privateer days are numbered. Arrrrg.! The King said I'd get 5 warnings then slow the wind down so I can't sail as fast! Arrrrrrhg!!!! Just a warning that news articles last week was true! PM your emails and I'll send copy of scroll!

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
I dunno the article was vague. Said 1st - 3rd time a warning, then by the 5th time they would slow your net down, and if it continues the ban you? Said only 5 companies were gonna do it but I guess it many more. The problem is there are many legal files and hard to get files on p2p sharing and file share sites.

Not to promote this behaviour or anything. I just wanted people who do happen to stumble iinto this sort of thing to know! Beware the parties over! The days of privateers are gone! I suspect you'll be getting warnings too if you "conduct such conduct"(This seems wrong spelling for one). As for me I think all data should be freely shared and never sold. Thats just my personal opinion from my old hippy roots. I know thats not a reality and should be limited in some ways I just don't know which.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
I 'm not informed on the matter (I 'm on the other side of the planet). Basically, do they ban you from joining P2P networks?

I think that uTorrent could encrypt the packages so that your ISP couldn't peek in them.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
No not at all. So far the article said that you would be given 5 warnings then your internet would be slowed, then after that it would progressivly slow then I guess you loose your i-net completely. Send me pm with email and I'll show you the warning. As far as details about p2p networks and masking ip's we should probably just not talk about that sort of thing. If people need to be anonymous on the net they can figure it out. We shouldn't show them... Utorrents just a client, the way a torrent works is it shares the file between everyone on the net so all the ip's see each other so your directly exchanging data packets with them.So everyone on the torrent can see the ip's of everyone else. That way you can use dozens of different clients for one torrent so theres no way to secure that without a membership and a DB of private IP's. Like Demonoid was in its day before they got killed. They had private members and closed registration after a while so it was pretty much bullet proof and worked great. But then the gov it was in wanted to impress the US gov and went against their law and just gave the US gov all their servers and stuff. I think it was Chek.

Remember torrents are completely legal and used by many fortune 500 companies to share game demo's, larger free movies, and larger app demo's and stuff. What you do with a torrent file when you create it is totally up to you, as with who you share it with.

Last edited:

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
It's about money and bandwidth.

The $89 package here is extremely fast, 50 down, 15 up, but if you use that "up" continually, other users on the same link end up with an overall slower surf speed. Imagine everybody using their full upload bandwidth at the same time, everybody would drop.

So, for $400/month, you can get 50Mbit down/50Mbit up guaranteed, and no pesky letters. They simply allocate that bandwidth to you, and reduce "max customers on link" by 3, so one user can run web servers or other systems that take a lot of bandwidth.

Expecting to upload or download 24/7 at 20Mbit for $29.95/month is where people lose touch with the reality of bandwidth costs. The reason upload is limited for private users is so businesses running a web server or whatnot need to buy the commercial line that is symmetric for up/down.

There's always the option of getting a fiber link direct to the backbone if you don't like the ISP rules, but that costs about the same as a new car each month.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Thats pretty much what I figured. I was gonna go ahead and get another provider. I see theirs more and more providers then before.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Finally...

You are stealing and then complaining because you got caught.

I've always said..screw this war on terrorism.. I want a war on spam/viruses/copyright infringement. Everyone thinks its cool till they steal whats yours.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
I ain't complaining. I could care less seems like their just looking at websites and getting everyones IP and issueing blanket warnings. Which is a joke cause half the files are legal. Thats where you goto find old freeware and abandonware to use. Thats where you get tricked out graphix drivers, thats where you get app demo's, thats where you get old site rips of forums that went offline and data that was free that someone quit paying to host, thats where you get books that are out of print and videos no longer commercial made(These are exempt from copyright, if you can't buy it you can share it), this is where I get my EURO and ASIAN tv that I can't get here. Blanket warnings are a joke. I personally think its funny if you couldn't tell that in my first post.

Last edited:

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Of course the bitTorrent protocols and the utorrent client aren't illegal. They are not even remotely breaking any rules. It's up to the user to decide the use of these tools.

I 'd be very surprised if any ISP had actually a usage cap for your internet line, be it either in GB/month or in hours of upload/month, in their contract with the clients. But now they see that they are losing control of the situation and do panic moves.

@maxpower,
Use the in-client mail and send me the warning, please. I 'd like to see what excuse they came up with.