Are you professional or amateur...

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
^-Amen. Most of my masters program was just research. At one point I though, "What the hell? If I need to research something, I'll just go and do it. I don't need an advisor telling me to do it." Saved me alot of money too.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
I assure you that so far I have done 0% current (modern) research within my degree.

I might translate my curriculum sometime and post it, just to see your reactions.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Out of the 5 years the curriculum typical lasts, I 'm on the 6th!

As a mean, the average student needs 7.5 years to take his degree, so I think I 'm still good.

I may upload the translation in the next days.

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
Out of the 5 years the curriculum typical lasts, I 'm on the 6th!

As a mean, the average student needs 7.5 years to take his degree, so I think I 'm still good.

I may upload the translation in the next days.
With the global economy in the toilet it's no surprise it's taking longer to get a degree everywhere...

...either way, it's about what you know when you graduate, not how long it took...

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
...either way, it's about what you know when you graduate, not how long it took...
I agree with the time part, many people take longer to finish because they are working a full time job at the same time as college courses.

However, a degree isn't about what you know as much as "how to think". More of a tool set to realize what methods you can use to find a solution to a problem,or "the big picture" so little parts of the picture can be identified, if that makes sense.

As I stated above, what I "knew" in college has nothing to do with what I need to "know" today, other than the process of finding a solution. Things you know NEVER stop growing, I learn stuff from other members on this forum often, I believe all who participate here do as well.

If one already knows everything, or thinks they do, I'd rather not have them on a design team. I'd prefer somebody who has a wide base of knowledge and ability to brainstorm possible solutions than somebody that insists there is only one way to skin that particular cat.

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
I agree with the time part, many people take longer to finish because they are working a full time job at the same time as college courses.

However, a degree isn't about what you know as much as "how to think". More of a tool set to realize what methods you can use to find a solution to a problem,or "the big picture" so little parts of the picture can be identified, if that makes sense.

As I stated above, what I "knew" in college has nothing to do with what I need to "know" today, other than the process of finding a solution. Things you know NEVER stop growing, I learn stuff from other members on this forum often, I believe all who participate here do as well.

If one already knows everything, or thinks they do, I'd rather not have them on a design team. I'd prefer somebody who has a wide base of knowledge and ability to brainstorm possible solutions than somebody that insists there is only one way to skin that particular cat.
They don't teach you how to think? :p

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

On my school (more than 30 years ago) they had some electronics lessons.
They also had practice lessons.
They made 13 projects to complete in 26 weeks.
I had all projects completed in 8 weeks.
After that the teacher said to me, go do something yourself with the parts we got.
I took a ram, a couple of counters a couple of "dac's" made out of resistors and wrote my name in the ram and showed it on the oscilloscope.
The teacher hardly could understand how I got my name on the oscilloscope screen.

Most of the electronics I know are self learned.

In my work I get regular trainings for new parts that get introduced.

Bertus

Last edited:

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Almost 66 yo, seagoing Captain, having spent 17 years at sea in merchant vessels - bulk carriers, tankers, LPG carriers and general cargo.

In those 17 years I had time to read a LOT of electronics (learning theory in the process) but it was more or less like reading Playboy or Hustler: no actual hands-on practice. Oh yes!

Prior that, 3 years in the Navy which included two summer campaigns in Antartica plus a one year-long hydrographic survey at the upper Paraná river.

Since 1991 working as marine surveyor and supercargo, mostly here but eventually abroad.

Basically I am frequently working as a surveyor supervising the handling (loading / discharge) of heavy load / high value cargo or as surveyor for a big company with works all around the world (energy, hydro and wind).

By the time I had a choice, "vessels" or "Uni for EE", I also had wife and 3 so it was "vessels".

Self taught. Still angry with myself because it takes me SO long to complete even the simplest project that for others around here is a simple matter.

Thinking of retiring during this year or slowing the pace, genuinely fed up of working under rain and / or for more than 30 hours sleepless. Rather frequent, let me tell you.

My next job: discharge of vessels with parts for eolic generators (towers, nacelles and blades) at Puerto Madryn, in the Patagonia. Crane drivers under my direction.

My last achievement: finally learning, out of doubts, how to import models/subcircuits/symbols into LTSpice. :D

Project in process: digital control of a pair of LM317/LM337. In my list for more than 10 years now.

My next: maybe a basic working model of elevator.

My last girlfriend: hmmm, let me check.....