are they the same ?

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by micron, Dec 12, 2009.

1. micron

Thread Starter New Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Hello every one . This is my first post . I am going to try an make an 6-led chaser circuit .From what I have found so far is that I can use a 555 Ic with a 4017 Ic. My problem for now is that I went radio shack to get some parts .The 4017 they did not have in stock but could order an mail to me .He told me that the 4017 cross-refenced to a 556. does anyone know if they are the same ? I looked at the data for the 4017 an it has 16 pins but the 556 has only 14 I do not understand :confused: Thank you in advance for any help with this . Micron
  2. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    People at the Shack are not too reliable, unless explaining payment plans. The LM556 is a dual version of the LM555. I doubt that RS has any means of obtaining CMOS logic IC's.

You can get a 4017 form Mouser - part #595-cd4017BE @ $.46.
  3. micron

Thread Starter New Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Thank you very much. Mail order was going to be my next option.
  4. Audioguru

Dec 20, 2007
    Another reason that they are gone from Canada. The first reason was the poor quality (seconds or rejects?) over-priced parts.
  5. KMoffett

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 19, 2007
    I'm sure the Radio Shack person used their god-awful search engine, and came up with TLC555, because it's the only "CMOS" in their it must be a direct replacement. ;)

6. Otaku

Nov 19, 2008
  7. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    That is actually a pretty good deal, $6.50. Not sure what the S&H would be though. It could be modified pretty easily for special functions.

Just checked the shipping, for the 48 continental states it is $7, not so good. You would be better buying the 4017 chip at that price. Where do you live (city, state if it applies)?