Are these microphone connections okay?

shikhar623

Joined May 9, 2009
Hello Friends.
This question may seem to be very simple but kindly answer it.
I have got one mic (pulled off from old headphones) and a 3.5 mm jack.
If I connect red-red, and yellow-yellow marked terminals will i be able to use this mic with my PC?
Or do I need some (additional) power circuitry for mic? IMG_20150305_150006_HDR.jpg earbud-stereo-jack-plug-wiring.jpgIMG_20150305_150006_HDR.jpg earbud-stereo-jack-plug-wiring.jpg

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
First check them if it works without a circuit.
I bet if properly wired it will work.
I never tried dismantling a PC mic before so cannot say for sure

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
microphones are mono, so you need to use the earth Orange and tip green pins of the stereo plug.

Last edited:

shikhar623

Joined May 9, 2009
microphones are mono, so you need to use the earth yellow and tip green pins of the stereo plug.
So Red wire of mic should be connected to red of Jack, yellow wire of mic to the green of the Jack and yellow of Jack to the ground.
Am I getting it Correct?

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
You haven't told us to what you are connecting the microphone. That may have some bearing as to what pins on the jack are correct. Also, if you have a choice, a mono jack and plug might be better.

Please tell us what you are connecting to. Supply a schematic if you have one.

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
PC Mics are an Electret element with a built-in Preamp. The PC backfeeds a bias current to the mic, and the load resistor across which the audio appears is inside the PC soundcard. If using the mic with other than a PC, all of the stuff inside the sound card has to be duplicated...

shikhar623

Joined May 9, 2009
PC Mics are an Electret element with a built-in Preamp. The PC backfeeds a bias current to the mic, and the load resistor across which the audio appears is inside the PC soundcard. If using the mic with other than a PC, all of the stuff inside the sound card has to be duplicated...
Thanks MikeML,
I intend to use with PC. So will the arrangement in #6 above suffice?

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Only two connections go to the mic element, signal, and shield.
Signal
goes to both tip and ring
Shield goes to sleeve

I just Ohmmed my PC mic that I use for Skype. 0Ω between tip and ring. ~1200Ω either tip to sleeve or ring to sleeve.

shikhar623

Joined May 9, 2009
Only two connections go to the mic element, signal, and shield.
Signal
goes to both tip and ring
Shield goes to sleeve

I just Ohmmed my PC mic that I use for Skype. 0Ω between tip and ring. ~1200Ω either tip to sleeve or ring to sleeve.
By sleeve you mean the orange one on the Jack (in the pic)?

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
The cable going down the mic boom should be coaxial shielded single-center-conductor, but it is hard to see that from your picture.

Try connecting the mic both ways. It should work one way, but not work the other. Connecting it backwards wont hurt anything, just wont work as a mic...

shikhar623

Joined May 9, 2009
The cable going down the mic boom should be coaxial shielded single-center-conductor, but it is hard to see that from your picture.

Try connecting the mic both ways. It should work one way, but not work the other. Connecting it backwards wont hurt anything, just wont work as a mic...
What about now. Can you make out.

Attachments

Canobi

Joined Mar 4, 2015
I'm still running XP so might not be the same for you, but in the sound options there's a signal boost for passive mics, just tick the little box and it should work fine, though you may need to adjust the gain so the signal isn't distorted.

Your computer will see the audio signal as mono as your only using one side of a pair. The incoming signal might be L or R biased due to using a stereo jack as the computer may think one side isnt working.