Are these guys genuine

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by R!f@@, Feb 11, 2011.

1. R!f@@

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    Can anyone please tell me the components these guys are selling is genuine.

I am looking for metal film resistors of this type. Need around 100pc of couple of values.
    I have never seen metal film resistors looking like that.
    Can any one confirm this.
    Thanks

2. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    DigiKey carries them too. They look the same and have values and tolerances printed on the coating.

John

3. R!f@@

Apr 2, 2009
    I did check them. Their components look familiar but due to quantity I have to look for cheaper guys. They are are cheaper than digikey but are the components what they say it is.

Is any one familiar with those types of metal films?

4. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    Yes, I have used that "type" of metal film, precision resistor. Are you confusing "type" with "vendor?"

John

5. R!f@@

Apr 2, 2009
    No , I am not confused. Just want to be sure that those are metal films.

Do you think what they sell is genuine parts, meaning that I can rely on what their label says?

6. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    You seem confused to me. Like I said, metal film resistors can look just like the one in that picture.

Whether that vendor is selling legitimate stuff is a vendor question. Clear?

John

7. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    As far as appearance goes, the resistor pictured is typical of the RN60 film resistors.

8. tracecom

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 16, 2010
    I don't have any first hand experience with Galco.

I think the OP's concern is that the price is too good to be true; 8 cents is quite cheap for a 1% resistor. In looking over Galco's pricing for resistors, it jumps around a lot. My guess is that they use cost plus pricing and they bought these at a bargain somewhere (overstock, overrun, EOY inventory reduction, old stock, etc.) Note that the part number listed is a Dale part number, but the Galco listing doesn't claim they are Dale brand product.

Their web site looks legit, but then I have bought counterfeit IC's from one of the best known companies in the US.

It looks like a bargain, but as always...caveat emptor.

9. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    Galco is a legitimate company located in the greater Detroit, Michigan area. It is a bricks and mortar store. It will ship internationally.

Here are some facts related to that from Vince:
    Minimum order: $50
    Wire transfer fee: $35
    International paperwork fee: $50

I guess one or 100 resistors would cost about $135 USD. Call Vince. He will be happy to fill your order.

John

10. Jaguarjoe

Apr 7, 2010
    Danny Galavan started Galco about 30 years ago selling hockey puck SCR's to steel mills around Motown. He is very legitimate.

11. radiohead

May 28, 2009
    R!f@@, I have seen that type of resistor used in military electronics due to the very tight tolerances (less than 1%).

12. R!f@@

Apr 2, 2009
    Thanks guys that's exactly what I wanted to know, but the extra charges is too much.
    May be if I can order a couple more to fill in the gap would be wise.

13. marshallf3

Jul 26, 2010
  14. cjdelphi

Mar 26, 2009
  15. Brafferton

Feb 9, 2011
    I notice the picture with several resistor types on it, one looks like wire wound, but I'm probably wrong. The components are genuine enough, and the photo with the single brown resistor is, as stated, metal film.
    There is quite a mix between numbered, 3 band and 4 band resistors, but hey! they work!

16. R!f@@

Apr 2, 2009