Are there Technology that Counts Fish in ponds?

yellowcloud

Joined Jun 30, 2013
I am looking for a technology that i can use to count fish in fish ponds.. more accurate counting is better. >.< i was trying to use sonar but it doenst give the accurate data.

Can anyone help me?

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Aside from tagging each individual fish with something like RFID, it may be easier to measure average fish density over time and estimate the count. Though accounting for fish size may be problematic.

finne

Joined Jul 29, 2013
Some sort of one way gate that you sweep through the pond? May be impossible though depending on the shape of the pond. Are the fish being fed at one specific spot or something? Maybe that could be used somehow.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Some type of holographic or synthetic aperture sonar system might work but that may be too complicated or expensive for your requirements.

Edit: Also phased-array type sonar.

Last edited:

bocoin

Joined Jan 24, 2013
I have a little experience in trying to count fish using a camera, and imaging software. More details would be helpful. We were counting fish in a tank lighting was a big issue. For other applications we have RFID tagged them and used that to count the number of fish through a passage.

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
Aside from tagging each individual fish with something like RFID, it may be easier to measure average fish density over time and estimate the count. Though accounting for fish size may be problematic.
It's much easier to count them moving through a gate of some sort. But that may be a bit hard to arrange in a quiescent pond. :)