Are most standard 3 prong power cords interchangeable?

Amendably_Amenable

Joined Jan 21, 2008
For example I have a tektronix oscilloscope with the rating 47Hz to 440Hz, 100V to 400V
75W max

And I have a power cord with the rating Vw-118AWGX3C CAS Type 5VT 18AWGX3CFT2 LL57855

Would you even bother to read the rating? Generally speaking are they all the same?

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Line cords and power supplies are not generally well-correlated. If, however, the male end fits the outlet and the female end goes into the IEEE receptacle and the voltage rating of the inlet matches the line voltage, all should be well.

Amendably_Amenable

Joined Jan 21, 2008
Yeah it fits. Ok I'll check the voltages.. all I see now are temperatures and frequencies on the wire and apparently that's not really as relevant as the voltage. Someone here (at work) just told me to use whatever but I wanted to make sure. This equipment is expensive!

italo

Joined Nov 20, 2005
Here in the USA three prong are standard for house wiring like wall plugs. however if there is water evironment like a water softener then three prong changes slightly to signefy a tie to earth ground as opposed to conduit ground. All that is for safety.