Arduino with 9V: gets hot?

Captain E

Joined Jun 16, 2015
Hi!
Using the Arduino UNO, I want to power it from a battery, so I watched a tutorial and plugged in the 9V battery to the VIN pin and to ground.
The Arduino has a recommended input voltage of 7-12 V, as the documentation says. When I did this, the Arduino got much more hot than it is with 5V from a USB cable. It's not melting, and I can keep my finger on it without the need to remove my finger, but it's still hot.
  1. What temperature is dangerous for the Arduino? (Maybe I'm overreacting on the heat)
  2. How can I use a 9V powersource and get 5V to my components?
  3. SHOULD I even use a 9V power supply?
Thanks!

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Is it the voltage regulator that is getting hot, or is something else getting, and if something else, what is getting hot?

Note: Check to see whether you power supply is connected in the correct polarity.

Captain E

Joined Jun 16, 2015
Is it the voltage regulator that is getting hot, or is something else getting, and if something else, what is getting hot?

Note: Check to see whether you power supply is connected in the correct polarity.
Most of the heat is at the power connector, on the two cylinders.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
If you are lucky, the maker of the board put in a rectifier to protect the circuit from the power supply being reversed and the power supply is driving the rectifier. Make sure your power supply voltage is the correct polarity.

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
well applying 9v to the jack is OK and a little heat is OK too.

Good question if it is broken. You should be able to find out yourself??

For the dummies: Download the Arduino IDE, load the blink LED sketch + flash it.

Captain E

Joined Jun 16, 2015
If you are lucky, the maker of the board put in a rectifier to protect the circuit from the power supply being reversed and the power supply is driving the rectifier. Make sure your power supply voltage is the correct polarity.
Yes it seems to have survived, everything works :p phuu....

Thanks for the help! :)