Arduino uno or enc28j60 kit

Discussion in 'Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers' started by nero007, Jun 26, 2012.

1. nero007

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 18, 2012
    hi ..i'm making a home automation project using atmega32's uC's and i wanted to make and outside control using enc28j60 kit(chip with it's peripherals and ethernet port)..

Q1:I was advised to use Arduino UNO board with ethernet shield...the interface between them is the same as the interface of enc28j60 kit(shown in pic)...SO CAN I USE THAT ENC KIT INSTEAD OF THE ARDUINO ETHERNET SHIELD WITH THE ARDUINO UNO??

Q2:IS THERE ANY ADVANTAGE OF USING ARDUINO UNO BOARD LOADED WITH ATMEGA328 THAN USING ATMEGA32(WILL I FACE TROUBLES USING THE ATMEGA32 INSTEAD OF THE UNO)???

Q3:HOW THE ENC28J60 RECOGNIZE IT'S ASSIGNED IP ADDRESS?I SAW ON SOME EXAMPLES OF AVR CODING THAT I HAVE TO ASSIGN THE IP ADDRESS USING A COMMAND OR A LINE OF CODE.HOW DOES THAT GET TRANSFERRED TO THE ENC28J60 SHIP ? DOES IT GET WRITTEN ON IT USING THE USART IN THE ATMEGA ??

Q4:GENERALLY..IS THERE ANY OBSERVATION OR NOTE U MIGHT GIVE CONCERNING THE ENC28J60+ATMEGA 32 COMBINATION(IS THERE A PROBLEM WITH THEM CONNECTED TO EACH OTHER)???

MUCH THANKS...ENC28J60 KIT I BOUGHT IS SHOWN BELOW
    [​IMG]

2. BillO

Nov 24, 2008
    Using the Arduino + Shield you can get the advantage that you do not have to build anything. Plus there is code around that you can use to get started. Plus, you have the simple Arduino IDE to use for programming.

There is more than one type of Ethernet shield for the Arduino. One uses The ENC28J60 and the other uses the W5100. Not that there is much difference between them, but the W5100 is easier on code (less of it required). Both use SPI for communication with the MCU.

The IP address in most cases is hard coded into the program and passed to the Ethernet controller through the SPI interface. 32K is not a lot of memory to try to implement a DHCP client along with the rest of the code you will need.

Here is an example using the ENC28J60. For the W5100, the Arduino software comes with a sample program and all the libraries.

BTW, you could probably hook your Ethernet module up to a Arduino.

nero007 likes this.
  3. nero007

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 18, 2012
    1st of all thanks for ur very useful reply...2nd:the 32k thing made me worried!...
    my original plan is to make home automation using atmega32's (one in each room of the house connected to sensors..etc) then each uC is connected to Xbee module which all communicate with a major xbee connected to another atmega32 which is connected to my shown enc kit above on the picture(SPI) then to the internet and a website to control all the network).

Dilemmas in my plan:
    1-u say 32k(of atmega32 i suppose isn't enough unlike the arduino's more powerful 328)..does this mean that atmega32 won't be enough to to the basic fns of turning on,off,reading sensors..etc in my project at all or will be just difficult due low memory??

2-any advice you would like to give?

3-does it need a static ip address website (what kind of web site shall i use or rent) to be able to control it from distant laptop through internet?

4. BillO

Nov 24, 2008
    The Atmega328 has only 32K as well.

Now, I'm not getting a clear idea what it is you want to do here. Are you using Ethernet for communications or Xbee? Not sure why you would need both for home automation.

1) I don't know. It depends on the functions you want to implement and the amount of logic it will take to implement them. A basic web server will probably take about 16K.

2) Use the Atmega328 and the Arduino IDE.

3) Static IP address is the way to go to keep code to a minimum.