1. rafaelluizmesquita

Thread Starter Member

Aug 8, 2013
    Hey guys...

I'm looking for a hobby that can maybe help me in my work. I thought in buy one of those Arduino starter kits. I'm a physicist and work with atmospheric related experiments. So in the long term I wanted to combine the hobby with the work.

Well. What do you guys suggest for me? I was thinking in build like... thermometers, humidity sensors, stepper motors. Those sort of things.

Thanks

Rafael mesquita

2. Shagas

May 13, 2013
    If you want to make those kinds of things then microcontrollers are a good thing to learn.
    Arduino is a platform and is a very good starting point because it will let you program things in C language easily without having to learn the details of the microcontrollers themselves.

I'd also advise to learn basics of analog electronics , things like ohms law and components basics because you will be interfacing the arduino (and any microcontroller) to the real world which is analog so you should know your way around.

This forum has tutorials , you can also find tutorials on youtube and tonnes of other sites.

3. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    Hey. That's a good list. But in case you want to know what's going on add in some sort of display. I like the alphanumeric LCD types that run between 2 lines of 8 characters to 4 lines of 20 characters (other sizes also can be found).

There's also some nice color graphic screens, touch also available.

I don't use the Arduino platforms so I have nothing specific to add there.

4. Potato Pudding

Jun 11, 2010
    One of the better sources for people to use when trying out Arduino would be the Jeremy Blum videos.

I think these in particular will help you, look through them all to build your interest but the ones on the bottom of the list are going to be the ones to start with.

Data Logger

Wireless Communications

Serial Peripheral Interface example with a digital potentiometer.

An IC to IC serial interface thermometer. Example of sending the Data to Computer and processing it there, so that the Arduino is a computer peripheral system.

Using the analog to digital converters of the arduino.

Getting Started

That is less than half of his Arduino tutorials.

5. rafaelluizmesquita

Thread Starter Member

Aug 8, 2013
    Thanks man... that was really helpful... But let me ask you something...

Can you write a program in a PIC with arduino? Or every time I make a device or a gadget, I have to take the arduino board with me?

That is my only concern about Arduino now... It seems to be a solid and easy way to learn how to mess with microcontrolers...

Thanks

Rafael

6. sirch2

Jan 21, 2013
    You cannot run an Arduino program on a PIC, Arduino uses AVR microprocessors, PICs are PICs.

But you do not need to use an Arduino board in your final product. You can buy an appropriate AVR chip, use your Arduino board to program the chip and then build it into your project.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  7. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
  8. sirch2

Jan 21, 2013
    Interesting, does that actually run programs targeted at AVR or doe it just use the Arduino IDE?

9. Potato Pudding

Jun 11, 2010
    If I understand your question correctly you want to know if you can use Arduino Code with just a chip instead of the Arduino circuit board.

Yes.

Here are some links.

MIT on using an ATtiny45 or ATtiny85.

Arduino on a breadboard.

That instruction page includes programming a bare chip with a bootloader.

Also be careful that you understand the pinmap translation from the board to a bare chip.

10. Potato Pudding

Jun 11, 2010
    Chipkit with the Microchip PIC32 uses a fork or version of the Arduino IDE.

Arduino compatibility is an advertising strategy for Microchip and I think the Arduino community is aware. Chipkit uses a PIC32 which is the most powerful Microchip product to try and position Microchip as the ultimate destination for Arduino development, competing against the ARM based boards.

There are a great many versions of Arduino boards.

11. Rbeckett

Sep 3, 2010
    Eventually you can move beyond ADuino by getting into programming in C. Until then you will have to use the Arduino boot loader and the Arduino system to load and program your devices. If you have one board with the required loading components and a ZIF socket, it becomes very simple to program a chip and then place it into whatever device you are developing. Once you progress beyond Arduino all you need is a programmer board for the chip you select and the software to support it too.

Wheelchair Bob

12. donnacarter0103

Jan 12, 2016
    I found Amazing list of the best Arduino Starter Kit. I think this is the list of the amazon products. Adafruit kits are also awesome.
    Link Of the list.

13. dannyf

Sep 13, 2015
    I would suggest an atmega32 based unit, like the Leonardo, for its superb adc module, differential input with programmable gains.

14. josephghan

Jan 20, 2016
    I have similar question but narrowed down my options, correct me if i'm wrong and what you recommend.

I'm interested in robotics, electronics and real programing (not scratch)
    I'm also interested in wearable technology but maybe the next phase.

I searched the internet and came up with the following options to start with:
    Two main kits to start with, one for electronics and one for robotics.
    Electronics (2 options) for Arduino
    1. ARDUINO STARTER KIT (official) : http://store-usa.arduino.cc/collections/gift-guide-tinkering/products/arduino-starter-kit
    2. Make: Ultimate Arduino Microcontroller Pack: http://www.makershed.com/products/ultimate-arduino-microcontroller-pack
    Robotics (3 options)
    1. Board of Education Shield Robot Kit for Arduino http://www.makershed.com/products/arduino-shield-robot-kit
    2. mBot Kit - All-in-One Learning Robot :http://www.makershed.com/products/mbot-kit-2-4g-wireless-all-in-one-learning-robot
    3. Starter Robot Kit: http://www.makeblock.cc/starter-robot-kit/
    I want to buy on from each list: one electronics kit and one robot kit. Please let me know what you think.

Thanks in advance
    Joseph

15. djsfantasi

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 11, 2010
    It appears that for the Arduino kit, options 1 & 2 differ only in their packaging. The pics on the links you provided are identical! In that case, I'd go with option 1.

I have much less strong opinion on the robot kits. I don't have a recommendation there. I'd be careful though, because the talk about coding in Scratch and I don't know how compatible it is with the Arduino.

josephghan likes this.