Arduino programming

Filoe16

Joined May 7, 2013
Hey guys

I am trying to program a sensor using an arduino. The sensor is operational at 10V DC and an arduino only gives out like 5V. I wanted to know how can I manipulate it to output 10V.

Do I need some hardware or can I do it with just programming?

Thanx in advance!

sirch2

Joined Jan 21, 2013
No you cannot do it with programming and judging by your question you may have a bit of a learning curve to get up. You need a separate 10v supply for your sensor and then some circuitry to reduce the sensor output to a suitable level for the microcontroller.

More details about the sensor would be helpful.

Filoe16

Joined May 7, 2013
Its a FESTO inductive sensor (SIEH-3B-PS-K-L)...It operational at 10-30VDC and has a 100mA maximum current. It is PNP and the voltage drop is <2V. I dont know if this is sufficient as that is all I have at the moment.

sirch2

Joined Jan 21, 2013
OK, so it looks like it is basically a switch. The Arduino has an on-board voltage regualtor so you could run everything off, say, a 12V supply but you would need a voltage divider (two resistors in series) across the senor to give a reasonable voltage level into the Arduino digital input. Something like a 6k8 and a 4k7 resistor with the arduino across the 4k7 should do it but you better check my maths.