Arduino memory - data collection

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
I am using Arduino Uno for my project. The initial steps involve collecting 10X250 samples of data - i.e. data will be quickly collected using analogRead and stored in a 2D array to make it available for further manipulation - making for a large (from Arduino's point of view) sample size. Just realized today limitations of Arduino's memory.

After looking at their website and some books, I believe that an SD is the way to go in terms of storing this data. The data is not intended to be static, but should remain in memory until next data set is collected. I'd like to get my assumption checked.

Tnxs

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
SD Data cards are flash -which means the can wear out, so take that into account.
If you expect to have a lot of erase cycles, take that into account.

You can buy serial static RAM pretty cheaply -as an example, consider the Microchip 23K640, organized as 8192x8 bits can be had for less than US$1 and can be repeatedly rewritten, with no erase cycle needed, either.

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
Would storing it in Arduino flash work somehow? Of course there is still the issue of wearing the memory out... I also have not been able to determine how to do it.