architect , builder ,...etc ?

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
I am wondering what an architect does.
Is he just responsible in creating the blue prints , drawings / models for a particular thing that is going to be built?

Correct me if I am wrong it is the job of a civil engineer to verify that the drawing/models can be physically built. (i.e it is the civil engineers job to make sure/figure out if the bridge can be built in this shape , or the arch can be made to hang off a building in a certain way ,...etc

For me it just seems like architects are just designer/artists ... and any good artists with a little bit of building background could be come one.

I apologies for my ignorance.

But even google does really clear up the difference between an architect and a graphical designer that draws building.

This is my understanding
Civil engineer responsible for safety of actually building the the building structures, and allowing it to be usable with out harming humans (human safety)
contractors/builders/construction managers are responsibly in calculating the costs of building and assigning tasks to workers
workers are the ones that have the talent in the particular task need to build part of the structure

So do we really need architects or should the civil engineer just work with a designer/artist instead. (or maybe architect is the a different name for a building designer .... just a specific type of designer such as a graphical designer is to advertisers/marketers )

If I get it right what types of skills would you need to have if you where really good already with drawing , and where a civil engineer to become a architect.
Couldn't you eliminate the job of an architect by just training a civil engineer on CAD programs/technical drawing

Last edited:

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
An architect designs houses and buildings,etc.. and is involved with everything from hvac/electrical layouts/plumbing,etc.. He will use a structural engineer (not civil usually) to ensure his designs are mechanically sound (beam loads,etc..). He will also use a general contractor/construction workers/builders. An architect is licensed/has a degree to do that work.

A civil engineer is usually roads/bridges/dams/natural landscapes/topographical layouts,etc.. Two totally different things. Much different disciplines. A civil engineer works with a city planner and others to complete his work.

Speaking "allaboutcircuits" they are as different as a "hardware" versus "software engineer. 2 different jobs but related.

In this world you can't live without both of them.

Someone with a decent background in anything could be anything they wanted really. There is really no job in the world that if you picked up a few books and did some learning that you couldn't do yourself. Not that you will be excellent at it but really any degree is just 4 or so years of studying/beer drinking away. Its the work experience that turns an engineer with a degree into a great engineer.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
I'm into construction/building. There are several architects I can live without.:rolleyes:

Some of them are just to theoretical, and see just numbers.
Sure the same can be said for many professionals/engineers. Some are just better than others. Mostly based on experience. Many architects just do exactly what the customer wants.. A good one will listen to what the customer wants and think ahead at what problems it may cause with the contractors,etc.. and suggest improvements to make it more realistic.

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
Ok , I see so architects + structural engineer + contractors/workers = building structure / house...etc

And when it comes to other things like roads , damns ,...etc
It is city planner + civil engineer + contractor/workers = building structure

Is the civil engineer the equivalent to the structural engineer when it comes to roads , damns , (non-building/housing structures)
Or is their a structural engineer involved in the process as well.

I am just trying to get a scene of who is doing what when a building or structure needs to be built.

Is it like architects/city planner ---> civil/structural/mechanical engineers ----> contractors/building managers/specialized Hvac,plumbing,...etc workers

Or am I missing any important pieces. Just wondering in theory what all the people needed in building for different structures.

Kind want to know the layers/ how many levels their are in building ... who is the CEO/president down to the every lowest level when it comes to building.

And sure I agree mostly anybody can do anything they put their mind to and in theory somebody could learn all the jobs of each person
problem would be it would take a life time to complete some structures if they where to do it alone... not to mention some things you need 2 or more people to physically accomplish. But sure you could know the theory and have the ability to go into any part you wanted with enough studying and time. Being well rounded has it's benefits

Last edited:

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Civil engineer is more of an all around engineering degree.. Structural engineer is just one part of a civil engineers job.

An architect can do his own structural engineering work and act as the general contractor too overseeing the whole build..

In a very basic answer its all about time/knowledge.. If we just had an "engineer" you would need to spend decades in school learning all disciplines of engineering and then you would get out of school an old person and then have to do so many different things you would never be excellent at one but ok at many fields.. Same goes for doctors.. You've got many specialties and just not enough time in a life to learn them all properly. Its about being great at what you do no matter if its just one little thing.

If you want to build a building all you really need to do is #1 get the land and #2 find a good architect who will be the general contractor. The architect builds the house, gets his own structural engineer to do any calculations if needed then he gets his drawings approved by your city and brings in his contractors and builds your building.

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
I see its all about if you can learn all of this stuff very well/specialize in everthing in a reasonable amount of time.
And most people cann't do that so they break the jobs down into small pieces that people specialize in.

but alot of civil , architects, city planner, regional planner , contractors , construction workers....etc have overlapping jobs in some cases regardless of the name give to these workers.

I do disagree that you can learn the theory and how to do all those peoples jobs if you are smart and had a few years just to learn. But the problem would come in an actually building or doing the whole project.... You could never build the whole thing alone in a reasonable amount of time 90% of the time.

But it would be nice to know all the theory and how it works so you can jump in and help out at any specific task you wanted to.

experience comes with time, knowledge can be learned but only thru effort and willness to learn

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
I do disagree that you can learn the theory and how to do all those peoples jobs if you are smart and had a few years just to learn. But the problem would come in an actually building or doing the whole project.... You could never build the whole thing alone in a reasonable amount of time 90% of the time.
Learning basic concepts is rather simple..But gaining the proper experience to be really good at what you do takes time.

Actually building a house is rather simple though.. Have you ever met a carpenter/construction worker?

My motto for the day...nothing in life is "hard" but its hard to be really good.

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
But it would be nice to know all the theory and how it works so you can jump in and help out at any specific task you wanted to.
your missing half the equation, and that's experience. If the conditions are established, one doesn't require knowledge to do an excellent job, experience will out perform. If the conditions are uncontrollable, then knowledge will have the leading edge. One of the major tasks of an Architect is to establish the conditions. From there it's a down hill slide of knowledge in a trade off for the productivity of experience.

The fellow with all the knowledge and no experience, is lonely man indeed.

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
I agree experience is important.... to get great at a specific task.
But to progress the world, invent new things, beable to beable to be good at anything you want to get experience at ,...etc knowledge will always win over experience.

For instance I have an auto mechanic that is really experienced at doing his specific task.
But ask him how to improve a car what chemicals could we use , how much joules of energy it will use per hour ,...etc he has no clue.

The point is I may not have as much experience in putting a car together but I can do it for my car . And I can do the physics / math on how to improve a car. And if I had my own laboratory, I could probably improve on the camshafts ,...etc of a car.

Now if I took my auto mechanic he could put it together sort of get the geezed of it but would never beable to invent something new.

My point is I believe knowledge is always more important in progressing the world and in many different things.
Experience only shows that you really can produce quality after quality products... but it is knowledge and creativity that is most important to me.

I know in the workforce/customers it may be experience.

Don't want to get into a big argument of it...would be like what is better mac or windows... pointless discussion .

Just want to let you know of my opinion though..... I agree you need both but I favor knowledge because experience can come with time ... knowledge comes with effort that few people want to put in the time to learn.... and some don't have the genetic intelligence to do the very advanced stuff.

I agree knowing how to build the basics of a house is easy.... I built most of one just from reading books on the subject and ask questions. But if I wanted to do it for a living I would definitely need to get experience and work under somebody even if I knew how everything went.... until I had experience.

Anybody can gain experience on doing something by repeatingly doing it.
But not many people can obtain the same level of knowledge as quickly or at all for that matter a particular subject or many subjects.
Plus not many people have that critical thinking / creative scientific thought or at least not at the same level.

For me to get as good as my auto mechanic could take a few months but to have experience and never mess up as much... that would probably take alot longer with alot more situations being exposed to.

Also another point is you have to at some point say I want to stop learning at an exponential rate and switch over to working (I suppose)
And also something different people would never care to learn or know ..... so that is basically why we have experts in all different fields.... and some of them would be idiots in another field outside their field...
Point being is you got to do what you want .

Last edited:

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
you won't get an argument from me, just my personal opinion. How does one learn how to apply knowledge in ways that are rewarding. There are thinkers and there are do'ers.

Interesting article read the other day where someone was trying to put into perspective our relationship with aboriginals. A government employee claimed that he did not ask the community if they wanted the program, but decided himself it was in their best interests. When the money was spent the project was turned over to the band council and promptly failed. It was seen by the public as squandered resources by the natives.