Arbirary/Function/Signal Generator Wassup??

TBayBoy

Joined May 25, 2011
I see these terms allot in forums and on youtube, but I have been unable to discern the difference between these animals.

Is it just a feature set or how the output is generated or some other ilk that I am missing.

Is one better than the other for a particular application? Usage?

Thx.

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
A function generator and signal generator are both about the same thing, they create signals like sine waves, square waves, triangle waves, etc. of varying amplitude, offset, frequency, duty, etc.

An arbitrary waveform generator can do all of this, along with generating a waveform that is arbitrary, otherwise unknown when the unit is shipped. A lot of these will connect to a computer which will program a specified waveform to the unit.

TBayBoy

Joined May 25, 2011
An arbitrary waveform generator can do all of this, along with generating a waveform that is arbitrary, otherwise unknown when the unit is shipped. A lot of these will connect to a computer which will program a specified waveform to the unit.
So I could input a formula and it will generate that wave shape?

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
An arbitrary waveform generator is like a CD player with the disk replaced by a ton of memory: you store numbers there and it clocks these out thru a digital to analog converter.

The better ones are $$$ as you need a lot of very fast memory, but those made on the cheap also have their uses.

TBayBoy

Joined May 25, 2011
This is all great info, thanks, I think the arbitrary wave form generator is more than I need for now :)