APS-231 power supply 12v to 19v mod

Discussion in 'Power Electronics' started by BlackOps, Jul 16, 2016.

1. BlackOps

Thread Starter Member

May 23, 2016
    Hi, i got an APS-231 power supply from an PS3. I need to get 19v out of here. Its for troubleshooting an Asus N550LF motherboard.

Now, how do i increase the voltage? I can see an LM339DG quad voltage comparator IC in there which belongs to the feedback circuit. Is there a way to get 19v out of this little machine? I have pictures and a schematic but i'm afraid that this schematic is invalid as this is for an newer revision PSU. But i post it anyways just in case there is an possibility.

Any help is highly appriciated

2. AlbertHall

Jun 4, 2014
    It's gonna be difficult suggesting modifications to an unknown circuit.
    Does the version of supply which you have use the TDA4605 as in the schematic?

BlackOps likes this.
  3. BlackOps

Thread Starter Member

May 23, 2016
    Hi, thanks for your reply, it doesn't use an TDA4605 unfortunately. Is there anything i could do? How about the LM339DG?

Thanks!

4. AlbertHall

Jun 4, 2014
    I can only guess what the LM339 is doing. Even if we assume it is part of the regulation system, and so changing a resistor might alter the output voltage, which resistor to change is still a wild stab in the dark.

If this is a switch-mode supply which it appears to be from the pictures then random fiddling is liable to lead to a big smoke letting and possible personal injury. I do not recommend it. At least you need get a schematic for the supply you have.

I recommend buying a suitable supply. It's likely to be cheaper and definitely safer.

BlackOps likes this.
  5. BlackOps

Thread Starter Member

May 23, 2016
    Hi, yea you are right. I will keep it as is and discard the project. Safety above everything of course. I will keep this as a high current power supply.

There are only 5 resistors which definitely are for the LM339, but yea wich one.

Btw, one more question, what is a switching power supply?, has it something to do with the 3.6v EN to GND enable pins and the build in relay?

However thanks for your assistance!

6. BlackOps

Thread Starter Member

May 23, 2016
    And unfortunately, the biggest problem we have now is finding schematics as company's these days are bitches. Not sure why they don't wanna release schematics, oh wait! Its all about the $$$

7. AlbertHall

Jun 4, 2014
  8. BlackOps

Thread Starter Member

May 23, 2016