Appropriate Switch

Discussion in 'Homework Help' started by Fordie99, Aug 16, 2014.

1. Fordie99

Thread Starter New Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Okay so I am a complete noob when it comes to circuits and anything electrical but for a college project I need to incorporate electronics.
    The project is based off Dynamic Mechanisms, basically using gears, pulleys, cams etc. to make a project become a playable scene. Therefore my circuit needs to be perfect for my project to work. Once I start operating the scene I cannot have any room for error.
    But here is my issue...
    I have a basic light bulb circuit which is operated by a push button switch. When this switch is turned on the light source then activates a light activated sound module which plays a song.
    However this switch is activated by an involute cam (snail like gear) , when this gear is at its highest altitude it will operate the switch. however by the time the gear comes back around to turn off the switch the song is only a third of the way through.
    I was wondering is there a push button switch that will allow you to hit it 3 times and on the 4th it will turn the circuit off? so the gear hits the switch and the circuit goes on and then when the gear hits the switch again the circuit stays on until the switch is activated 4 times?
    Probably a stupid question but I have been looking for switches online and I am in over my head. Thanks for any help.

2. shteii01

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2010
    Is the push button a momentary switch?
    Meaning, "you" push it, light comes On, you release it and light goes Off.

3. Fordie99

Aug 16, 2014
    hi shteii01 , no the light source must remain on for the sound module to operate.. so it wouldnt be a momentary switch.. I was also wondering would there be a push button switch similiar to a toggle switch that controls different circuits..
    kind of like a device with different intensitys, one which has maybe three circuits of different resistance?.

4. shteii01

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2010
    Here is interesting one: http://www.digikey.com/product-sear...=1&stock=1&quantity=0&ptm=0&fid=0&pageSize=25

First push, line A is On.
    Second push, lines A and B are On.
    Third push, line B is On.
    Fourth push, all lines are Off.

What you could do is wire lines A and B together. This way if A is On, B is Off, light is On; if A and B are On, light is On; if A is Off, B is On, light is On; if A and B are Off, light is Off. I would probably put a capacitor in parallel with the light so that when switch is switching and there is momentary Off condition, the capacitor would provide power to the light.

This seems to work for what you are asking, 3 pushes and light is On, fourth push and light is Off.

5. inwo

Nov 7, 2013
    +1 on push switch.

Four methods come to mind:
    Ratchet/sequence relay
    IC counter (solid state solution)
    Industrial preset counter
    Three speed fan switch

What power levels?
    How many cycles must it last?
    How much force and throw of actuator cam?

Pictures will help.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
  6. Fordie99

Aug 16, 2014

7. inwo

Nov 7, 2013
    Is the timing consistent, such that a simple "delay off" will work?

If yes, how many seconds?

Picture?
    "an involute cam (snail like gear)"
    Add a 4-1 gear?

8. shteii01

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2010
    Capacitor IS NOT a battery.
    When we want something on for seconds and longer, we use battery.

When we want something on for milliseconds or less, we use capacitor.

Metalmann likes this.