Appropriate Mosfet and Mosfet Driver

recklessrog

Joined May 23, 2013
The 21844 is an excellent driver chip, programmable dead time! but look at how the load is connected in comparison to the original idea. I have used this in several designs, also the SG 3525 has many desirable features and works well in an inverter I built that drives four 80 amp mosfets at 25khz . The inverter is used to generate 15kv to charge two 60mfd capacitors in series. Bear in mind that they represent a short on start up and the inverter has no problem with that!

recklessrog

Joined May 23, 2013

Take a look at the SG3525, it has so many good things going for it in your application. I designed and built an inverter that from a twelve volt car battery produced 15kV to charge 2 x 60mfd 10kv capacitor in series. When you consider that at switch on the caps represent a virtual short on the output, it was no mean feat for such a device, a good example of just how powerful, I made a small jacobs ladder which it would happily run all day scareing the life out of anyone who first heard then saw it!

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Take a look at the SG3525, it has so many good things going for it in your application. I designed and built an inverter that from a twelve volt car battery produced 15kV to charge 2 x 60mfd 10kv capacitor in series. When you consider that at switch on the caps represent a virtual short on the output, it was no mean feat for such a device, a good example of just how powerful, I made a small jacobs ladder which it would happily run all day scareing the life out of anyone who first heard then saw it!
I think it would be awesome if you were to post the plans and diagrams of your jacob's ladder

recklessrog

Joined May 23, 2013
I think it would be awesome if you were to post the plans and diagrams of your jacob's ladder

I'm sorry, but due to the extreme danger of playing with such things, it may encourage some novice to seriously injure or kill themselves and I would feel partly responsible. My training to work on potentially lethal devices was of the highest order, and despite my forum name, I would never recklessly advocate anyone without the appropriate knowledge where safety is paramount to engage in any such experiments. There is a very good reason why some subjects are taboo on this site, it's to protect you.
You only have to look at some of the idiots on Utube who play with certain transformers for fun. I'ts not so funny when several thousand volts at high current jump into your hand and put you into the next world in the blink of an eyelid!!!

I CANNOT STRESS HIGHLY ENOUGH THAT HIGH VOLTAGE IS EXTREMELY HAZARDOUS AND REQUIRES PROPER TRAINING AND STRICT SAFETY PRECAUTIONS BEFORE YOU MESS WITH IT. YOU ONLY DIE ONCE!!
DEFINITION OF HIGH VOLTAGE, YOU CAN'T ALWAYS SEE IT, HEAR IT OR SMELL IT, BUT IF YOU TOUCH IT, IT WILL KILL YOU!
Maybe i should not have mentioned the Jacobs ladder in my post, people PLEASE do not play with these sort of things!

Runs212

Joined Mar 12, 2015
Thanks for all your post. I have ordered the ic Ronv recommended and should be getting it tomorrow. I will post an update soon after I've connected my circuit. Thanks again everyone.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I'm sorry, but due to the extreme danger of playing with such things, it may encourage some novice to seriously injure or kill themselves and I would feel partly responsible. My training to work on potentially lethal devices was of the highest order, and despite my forum name, I would never recklessly advocate anyone without the appropriate knowledge where safety is paramount to engage in any such experiments. There is a very good reason why some subjects are taboo on this site, it's to protect you.
You only have to look at some of the idiots on Utube who play with certain transformers for fun. I'ts not so funny when several thousand volts at high current jump into your hand and put you into the next world in the blink of an eyelid!!!

I CANNOT STRESS HIGHLY ENOUGH THAT HIGH VOLTAGE IS EXTREMELY HAZARDOUS AND REQUIRES PROPER TRAINING AND STRICT SAFETY PRECAUTIONS BEFORE YOU MESS WITH IT. YOU ONLY DIE ONCE!!
DEFINITION OF HIGH VOLTAGE, YOU CAN'T ALWAYS SEE IT, HEAR IT OR SMELL IT, BUT IF YOU TOUCH IT, IT WILL KILL YOU!
Maybe i should not have mentioned the Jacobs ladder in my post, people PLEASE do not play with these sort of things!
You're right, I was only thinking of myself when I asked that of you... On the other hand, there have been discussions here about tesla coils (which I consider just as dangerous), but then again I also think that any potentially lethal device should not be discussed in a public forum such as this one. Thanks for your concern.

recklessrog

Joined May 23, 2013
Thanks for all your post. I have ordered the ic Ronv recommended and should be getting it tomorrow. I will post an update soon after I've connected my circuit. Thanks again everyone.

The 2184 can be a little oversensitive to static charge damage, use a wrist ground when touching it out of circuit, and in your final design, an I.C socket is to be recommended so that you don't have to risk damage to your printed circuit by unsoldering should you need to replace it. the supply pin is best decoupled with a 10-22mfd cap close to the chip, and use a 15 volt zener and series r to on the supply pin to prevent over volts damaging it.

Runs212

Joined Mar 12, 2015
Thanks for your suggestion per 2184. I was going through the datasheet for 2184. For the shutdown pin (SD\) i've never encountered that in ic, is that to be grounded?

recklessrog

Joined May 23, 2013
You're right, I was only thinking of myself when I asked that of you... On the other hand, there have been discussions here about tesla coils (which I consider just as dangerous), but then again I also think that any potentially lethal device should not be discussed in a public forum such as this one. Thanks for your concern.

I was "shocked" (excuse the pun) at the power of a jolt from a Vann de Graaff generator that I got when I was an apprentice! Even static can make you need to change your underpants! (especially if it's lightning!!!)

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I was "shocked" (excuse the pun) at the power of a jolt from a Vann de Graaff generator that I got when I was an apprentice! Even static can make you need to change your underpants! (especially if it's lightning!!!)
Oh... static I know lots about... I live in a place that's quite dry in the summertime and the jolts one gets when climbing down the car can be maddening... The trick I use to avoid that is I first firmly grab the car's door by its metallic frame, and then I put my foot on the floor... that way the spark flies out from the tip of the shoe instead of my hand. You can still feel the shock, but it's much more mitigated.

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
Thanks for your suggestion per 2184. I was going through the datasheet for 2184. For the shutdown pin (SD\) i've never encountered that in ic, is that to be grounded?
You want to leave it open for the IC to work. Ground to turn it off.