Appropriate forum for help re understanding e.g. 300-in-1 electronics kits?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by RLinning, Mar 13, 2013.

1. RLinning

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 13, 2013
    Hi,
    I was just wondering if this forum is a good place to ask for help with understanding the circuits in e.g. Radio Shack 300-In-1 or the Science Fair 200-in-1 electronics kits. I've had some experience with basic circuit analysis etc. (college physics). Do people mind helping out guys like me who are essentially starting out? If so what is the appropriate forum.
    Thanks in advance, Rob.
    PS I will also check out the resources that are available with the site. I tend to favour the kits at this point because I'm in a semi-remote location and have had some trouble getting in parts at a decent price and in a decent time.
    R.

2. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    It is how I got my start in electronics, which has been a life long love affair.

So the answer is yes, just be careful displaying copyrighted material. You can redraw by hand schematics you are interested in and post them here. It is excellent practice. I still have some of my favorite schematics (hand drawn) from those days.

I found your thread moderated. It happens, mostly because you are new. I have approved it.

3. tshuck

Oct 18, 2012
    There are many people here that are willing to offer their expertise to help other people. I typically suggest to people new to electronics to get one of those kits!

Don't be afraid to ask questions, odds are, someone else has/had the same question (so there may even be an answer already!).

Good luck!

4. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    Hey Rob: sure we'll be here to help (to help you shoot yourself in the foot).

And welcome to the forums!

(just kidding about your foot.)

5. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    You'll find lots of help here. The two most appropriate forums, for most your initial stuff, will be either the General Electronics Chat or the Homework Help.

The Homework Help is probably the best one, even though you aren't doing homework but, rather, working at home. The reason is that that is where the members that are most interested in helping others learn hang out and look for people in need to assistance. All we ask is that you show your efforts as you go, in part because that is the best way to learn. We will help you move along the path of your own self-discovery.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Yes.
    This is a beginners site, sprinkled generously with math, electronics, and physics nerds.

7. Jaguarjoe

Apr 7, 2010
    If that 300:1 kit is made by Elenco, just email them or phone them, they will bend over backwards to help you. I know the 100:1 RS kit is made by them.