Applying for uni :D

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Robin Mitchell, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Robin Mitchell

Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Hi everyone,

Just applied for warwick, exeter and nottingham university, im going (hopefuly) do electonic engineering :D

I was originaly planning to go to oxford, thank god that my brother goes their because i never knew what the uni layout was like, its not very nice :/

2. Markd77

Sep 7, 2009
    I looked at Nottingham campus a number of years ago. It was really good, everything close together and lots of trees and green spaces. It was my second choice after Birmingham.
    Freedom awaits, you will finally be able to etch those PCBs you wanted.

3. loosewire

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    You have to go to college to etch curcuit boards.

4. Robin Mitchell

Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2009
    hahaha, yes i can :D
    i really cant wait, 2011, ill be 18, girls, electronics gonna be a good year!

Funny thing is that there are two things you can not do, even at 18, have to be 21. Own a license to sell alcohole and something else to do with that , cant remember :p...oooh, own a pub

5. loosewire

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    Have you been drinking "hooch'.
    Ah" the american way has gone International.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
  6. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    In Texas you can sell alcohol at 18 as a server, as long as you are certified by TABC (Texas Alcohol Beverage Commission). You take the course, pay your fee, pass the test. You still can't drink until you are 21.

7. loosewire

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    Are they still making "Moonshine" in the back woods.It will take a
    special person to have heard of this knowledge. Maybe if you sleep
    with Racoons under the stars,second hand information.If you still
    need credit till the end of the week,Moonshine is still being made.

8. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    Moonshine is DEFINITELY still being made.

One thing we used to do in college was to take one of those half-gallon sized cans of fruit cocktail, open it up, add a cup of sugar and let it sit for a week or so.

Now THOSE were some powerful chunks of fruit.

No matter what college you choose, be sure to watch out for your fellow student.

There is always someone who OVER does it when it comes to alcohol and/or drugs.

If you see someone beer-bonging vodka, or something equally stupid, be sure to ask them what to tell their families tomorrow when they are dead.

Even saying, "Hey instead of drinking 30 servings yourself, why not get some girls over here and share?"

I hate to hear about kids dying of alcohol poisoning in college. ESPECIALLY during hazing.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2010
  9. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Being truly free to screw up royally is definitely a heady experience. Just remember it is possible to mess up so badly you can't recover and you'll be OK. It is a life lesson, have fun, but not too much fun (unless it is part of a course).

10. JoeJester

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 26, 2005
    Bill,

If I remember correctly, minors can be served alcohol when their parents are present. I'll have to check it with my step-son (Dallas PD) but I think that's what he said when that topic reared it's head in a discussion.

11. Markd77

Sep 7, 2009
    We're a bit more liberal over here, you can buy yourself a drink in a bar at 18, or an adult can buy you a drink when you are 16 if you are having a meal. In private you can drink from 5.
    It's not hard to get served if you are underage, a lot of places don't check.

12. JoeJester

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 26, 2005
    At least the age of majority means something over there. I find it difficult to support political decisions against those at the age of majority.

Stupid things ... like, you can be a member of the military, armed to the teeth to kick a$$ ... but not mature enough to have a drink. The one time it was allowed, during the latter stages of the Vietnam War, and addressed as a states rights issue, the Federal Government threatened to withhold highway funds if the drinking age wasn't raised back up.

I'm sure there are some issues I disagree with our neighbors across the pond.

13. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    This is an interesting history: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._history_of_alcohol_minimum_purchase_age_by_state

There are lots of bizarre laws in the US and elsewhere. It is hard to see the purpose of them, except control. There used to be an unwritten rule in many places that if you were in uniform (or had the right ID) you could get beer. It was one of those situations where everyone knew it was a dumb law and the cops/ATF just ignored it.

As for preventing alcoholism, data supporting underage drinking as a cause are non-existent.

John