Applications of Strain Gauges

Discussion in 'Homework Help' started by Hello, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Hello

Thread Starter Active Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Can anyone help me with some research on the use on strain gauges related to mechanical engineering, as i am really finding it difficult to find anything useful. Any help on finding websites,articles, and conference or journal papers related to my topic would be greatly appreciated.
  2. leftyretro

Nov 25, 2008
    Omega engineering has a lot of stuff on strain gauges and load cells.

3. bertus

Apr 5, 2008
  4. RichardM

Aug 4, 2008
    I know they are used extensively in the field of Aerospace Engineering. For example, they might be placed on the wing of an airplane to monitor the bending of the wing as the load on it increases and decreases.

You could probably find many examples of university activities involving strain gauges by doing a search off Google's Advanced Search page. Do a search for

"strain gauge" aerospace

and constrain your search to .edu domains.

Other examples that come to mind quickly are placing them on bridge trusses to monitor the bending and twisting of bridges, and on artificial hips to measure the strain they experience.
  5. unborn

Mar 19, 2009
    Im doing some research using strain gauge. You could try on Split Hopkinson Preasure Bar experiment where it measure the dynamic behaviour on material at high strain rate above 100/s.
  6. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
    Strain gauges are embedded in pilings and other areas in nearly every new bridge to determine cause of / prevent failures such as the one in Minneapolis last year.

The telemetry pack often is paired with a weather station in remote areas, diffusing the costs.