Applications for phase shift oscillators?

beachwaterbunny

Joined Nov 11, 2008
I was wondering what some applications for phase shift oscillators were. I've found some vague information but nothing too specific. I've seen information about audio amplifiers? What else can phase-shift oscillators be used for? Some true real-world uses would be great!

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
Hi Bun:

Phase Shift oscillators were frequently used as sidetone oscillators in CW (morse code) transmitters and transceivers, as well as for code practice oscillators. They were also used for general purpose, low quality test oscillators, for things like signal tracers and such. They are NOT generally high-quality sine generators, but sometimes "good enough for government work." They are relatively easy to tune with a ganged resistor over quite a wide range.

By replacing the resistors in the feedback network with transistors, you can also create a voltage controlled oscillator (VCO).....but again, not a great one. This method was used in some of the early analog music synthesizers.

Hope this helps.

Eric

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
Bun:

Look for Celsius1's post about his 3-phase power inverter. This is an excellent, clever application of the phase shift oscillator I'd totally forgotten about. I don't know of a simpler, more elegant way of achieving this.

Eric