application usb to rs232, rs422 and rs485 adopter

lokesh88

Joined Jul 4, 2011
please give some information about usb to rs232, rs422 and rs485 converter used in military application.
thanks in advance.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
please give some information about usb to rs232, rs422 and rs485 converter used in military application.
thanks in advance.
I had some answer in mind until I saw the "in military application" part. The military (I assume you are referring to the U.S. Military) goes out of their way to re-invent the wheel on everything. FTDI, as previously mentioned, would have been my answer, but because that's so simple, I would have to assume that FTDI is not what the miltary uses. They probably payed some government contractor to design some off the wall gadget and test it over a span 10-15 years before installing it.

However, as I was leaving the military I started to notice a gradual shift toward acceptance of what they call COTS (common off the shelf) parts used in military applications, so who knows.

lokesh88

Joined Jul 4, 2011
Please ask a question. What exactly are you looking for?
my question is where usb to serial converter is used in defense. some eg like in military video surveillance. like this i need some more.in ftdi datasheet or in website i con't find any helpful information.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
my question is where usb to serial converter is used in defense. some eg like in military video surveillance. like this i need some more.in ftdi datasheet or in website i con't find any helpful information.
I'm still not 100% sure what you want. If you are looking for a USB>Serial converter that is MILSPEC (meeting standards established by the military for military applications) then search for a MILSPEC USB>Serial converter. I was not able to find any, but I only looked for about 5min; not my project. If you want to hear of specific instances where the military employs USB>Serial converters, then search something like "USB>Serial converter military application" but you probably won't find anything because the military doesn't advertise how they do things.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
I had some answer in mind until I saw the "in military application" part. The military (I assume you are referring to the U.S. Military) goes out of their way to re-invent the wheel on everything. FTDI, as previously mentioned, would have been my answer, but because that's so simple, I would have to assume that FTDI is not what the miltary uses. They probably payed some government contractor to design some off the wall gadget and test it over a span 10-15 years before installing it.

However, as I was leaving the military I started to notice a gradual shift toward acceptance of what they call COTS (common off the shelf) parts used in military applications, so who knows.
Go Google MIL-STD-1553, it is the serial bus the military uses in jets, it controls the wire in fly by wire. Well... not really, but it does arm the bombs.

Company I work for makes transceivers for it.

Been around since the 70's or 80's.

They are not cheap.