Application Data Folder Replication

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Hello there,

Anyone else come across this problem on Win 7 or Vista and maybe Win 8 too?

The problem is that when we look into some directories we see one directory called:
"Application Data"

and then when we click on that we get another directory with the same name and same contents which would look like:
Application Data\Application Data\

and clicking on that last folder we'd get:
Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\

and clicking again we'd get:
Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\

and this never ends until Explorer complains about the path too long, which works out to maybe 27 levels deep of the SAME directory name and structure and same contents (any files or other folders in there too).

This is one of the stupidest things i've seen so far on Win 7 but i think it started in Vista and probably goes on to Win 8 and maybe up.

Anyone else see this happen yet?

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Yes I've had this bane haunt me on windows 7. I brought it on by messing with "ownership" parameters of files, I think. Hopefully you've only recently done this flub; in my case it was several months after the fact that I discovered what was happening. By that point I had already installed very expensive software which I no longer had access to, so restoring from an old backup was not an option. I've just had to live with it since then.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Hello again,

Yes i believe it is all about permissions, where MS made an oversight and had to correct it by forcing the system to ignore certain directories. But i dont want to say too much yet until i've heard other opinions and suggestions because i'd like to see if anyone knows more about this.

The "Windows Seven Forum" suggestion is to "download" a program "fix" that supposedly fixes this problem, but what it takes you to is a download that makes you pay before you can use it !
What a lot of balls...make a system that is partly broken then make people pay to fix it.
They state on the site something like, "download, click scan, then click fix all", but when you try to fix all it makes you pay for a license i think 5 bucks. This is just ridiculous from MS.

Any more ideas/suggestions please post.