Appliance frequency and voltage

Andrew Leigh

Joined Sep 8, 2008
Hi,

someone has bought me an appliance which is 220V @ 60Hz. The supply here is 220V 50Hz.

I don't want to switch it on as something will go wrong this I know, exactly what I am no too sure. How do I remedy this and get the appliance working?

The appliance from what I understand is a indoor BBQ and I think that the only electrically driven part is a fan motor.

Cheers
Andrew

Andrew Leigh

Joined Sep 8, 2008
Hi,

thanks for that. While waiting for a response to this post I was talking to my Technical Director who felt that the current draw would increase as a result of the frequency to voltage ratio by some 20% which would result in excessive heating. He suggested a 50Hz 220V to 176V stepdown transformer which should take care of the heating but that the speed of the fan would still be slower.

He also felt that if the fan was to run for an extended period that the problem would get progressively worse but if the fan ran for short periods only that the heating would be less of a problem.

Would you concur?

Cheers
Andrew

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
If that is a resistive heater, there is a slight chance the output (heat) might be a tiny bit less, as the amount of current @50 Hz is less than @60 Hz. Almost every transformer and small motor has a 50/60 Hz rating.

If this is a major concern, the manufacturer's web site (assuming there is one) should have a "contact us" option. You could ask them directly in that case.

Andrew Leigh

Joined Sep 8, 2008
Thanks for the help,

the buyer mailed me today and told me he had the manufacturer fit a 50Hz fan motor? Sounds like my problem is solved.

Regards
Andrew