Apple Xserve Raid Customization

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by xxredxpandaxx, Dec 10, 2013.

1. xxredxpandaxx

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 28, 2011
    I just got my Xserve Raid today and I plan on Making it into and unraid box and convert the IDE part to SATA by making a custom backplane and a bunch of other stuff. But the reason I am posting here is that i want all of the lights on the front to work properly. If you don't know anything about the Xserve Raid there are 14 drives in hot swap cages, each has a green/red light to tell if the HDD is ok and a blue light for activity. I don't really care about the red light, I just want the green light to always be on, but I would like the blue activity light to work correctly. Above the HDDs are are 4 lights on each side that are for power, fan, temperature, and one other thing that I'm not sure what it is. In the center is a column of lights that is for network speed I think. So my question is what would be the best way to make all the the lights work how I want them to, with something like a arduino? I will post pictures of everything later.

2. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    The best way? That's easy - keep your paws off the Xserve !! :D

There's not really enough detail to make sense of your request. What are you trying to do? Pictures (diagrams, schematics) are worth a thousand words.

3. dumpystig

Apr 10, 2013
    I'd love to know what that kit cost you?

4. xxredxpandaxx

Mar 28, 2011
    haha I would leave it how it is if it was sata and not ide :p

I plan on posting pictures and making some diagrams tomorrow as it will probably take a while to do. Hopefully it will help you guys understand what I want to do. :D
    Well all I have is the xserve at the moment, I will be buying some other stuff to customize it later which shouldn't cost too much. But the unit itself cost me $150 with free shipping off of ebay it was a steal!!

PS: it came with 40GB HDDs which was cool even though they are pretty much useless.

5. dumpystig

Apr 10, 2013
    Nice :)

I never heard of Xserve until reading your post so had to google it. Then had a quick look on eBay - some pretty heavy prices there!

Sorry I can't input any advice but i will be following your thread... good luck ;)

6. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    Whats the point? Are you just trying to mod it into something that resembles multiple standalone external hard drives in a single enclosure..

7. xxredxpandaxx

Mar 28, 2011
    The point of me doing it is that I like the look of the cassis and what to put my existing unraid server into it, and to do it I have to take out most of the internals that are there which would make the lights not work. That is why I am asking about the lighting here.

8. xxredxpandaxx

Mar 28, 2011
    I am kind of an apple fanatic so that is why I got this, even though the prices are kind of high. But I will make sure that I keep the thread up to date with what I am doing.

9. shteii01

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2010
    All that work for eye candy.

I see much sadness in your future.

blueroomelectronics likes this.
  10. xxredxpandaxx

Mar 28, 2011
    Its really not as hard as you think. I already figured out how to use the sata cables for data and power through the old IDE pathways. Now I just need to to it on the other 13 drives. That will get my server up and running, next thing to tackle is the front LEDs which I haven't figured anything about that out yet.

Here are some pictures of what I have so far.

Board unmodified on the left, and on the right is the IDE connector taken off and a SATA cable soldered in.
    [​IMG]

Here is the new board with the power and data cables soldered in and everything put back together without the cover on.
    [​IMG]

and here it is with the cover back on, it looks exactly the same as all the other ones I have not modified yet.
    [​IMG]

Here is the case gutted and the power supply, motherboard, and some fans laid out. I still have two or three more fans that will go in there to keep everything cool.

11. shteii01

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2010
    Forgive me for being skeptical. I am looking forward to learning more.

12. xxredxpandaxx

Mar 28, 2011
    Ahh I forgot to post this part, I used a multimeter to find out where the pins go before I soldered the cables to the board. Here are some pictures.

Here is the HDD board connected to the back plane.
    [​IMG]

Here is the other side of that plug with the 4 data pins marked. (didn't mark the 4 ground pins of the sata cable, but they are right next to the data ones.)
    [​IMG]

Here is where the connections end, and will be turned back into sata cables again so I can plug them into the motherboard. You can hardly see the pins marked with orange so you might want to click on the picture so you can zoom in on the 4 pins marked with orange. Top center on the pins is the first set.
    [​IMG]

13. Westonadam54

Mar 7, 2016
    Hey I was woundering if you could give me a pic on how u solder the sata wire to it and was also woundering if it worked

14. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    While the thread starter might respond, I wouldn't hold my breath seeing as how this discussion died over two years ago. Good luck, though.

15. Westonadam54

Mar 7, 2016
    Thank you for that.
    Are you saying that after plunging this up that the lights on the sled will not light up and if so would u know how to make the lights light up? And have you also tested this with the Xserve raid to see if it sees the sata drive?

Thanks
    Adam Weston

16. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    Again, this is an ancient thread and the thread starter has not been heard from in this forum for over two years. You might try sending a personal message but I wouldn't hold my breath for a reply.