# appears as

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by magnet18, Mar 25, 2011.

1. magnet18

Thread Starter Senior Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Hey, I hope it isn't just me, but in the thread-
    http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=51908&page=2
    in posts 12 & 17, in the quotes, the # appears to be an ≠.

Is this a problem, or is it just my computer?

This is an example, and to me it definitely appears to be an ≠

2. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Looks OK from here. Font problem maybe? Look at your Verdana fonts.

3. magnet18

Dec 22, 2010
    still messed up, don't think it's my fonts...
    meh.

4. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Actually, the fonts is exactly where it would be. They are where there the cross indexing would be for the character shapes vs. the numerical values that represent those characters.

5. magnet18

Dec 22, 2010
    ... o.0
    I'll take your word for it.

6. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Do you have access to more than one computer? Complete access that is.

You can lift a font file from one PC and transfer it to another. My font files are quite old, some date back to my first computer (I'm probably up to around 10th or so, not counting my off brand PCs like TRS80 and C=), I've tried very hard not to loose them. My big problem is shear numbers of font files.

These files are considered system files, and are protected. If you've never messed with system files you will have to enable your access to them. Ever done this?

BTW, these files are copyrighted, and the authors usually care. Verdana is part of windows, so I wouldn't have a problem (if the moderators don't) attaching them, but you can't give away a whole library helter skelter. Verdana is the font you are most likely looking at now.

7. Dave

Retired Moderator

Nov 17, 2003
    I can confirm that # displays correctly. I agree with Bill.

Please don't upload to the forums, Verdana is actually a purchase from MS outside of Windows and we're not going to open that can of worms.

Dave

8. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Which brings us back to the point of finding another computer that works correctly, and grabbing the file with a floppy or thumb drive (they are very small). I have fought corrupted fonts before, it didn't just go in. I think I used a live version of Linux (CD) to get one in, Windows tries to protect its system files.

Pulling them off is not the problem, putting them back on another computer is a bear.

Generally though, anytime you load a new piece of software that has unusual fonts it all goes to the same folder. The new fonts are also compatible with Word or Wordpad (or any other text software), fonts file formats are very standardized.

9. Dave

Retired Moderator

Nov 17, 2003
    Is there nothing available from Codeplex? I got some CMU fonts from there.

As a curiosity, is this problem persistent in different browsers?

Dave

10. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Hey, what can I say, I have at least 6 windows computers in house, occasionally more. That includes my BBS/server of course, and the one I have in my entertainment center (complete with remote). There was a time I built computers. I'm not counting the "other" systems, like my C128. :rolleyes:

Now if you were me, where would you go for the problem files? :D

Want an American style NTSC C64? I have complete systems (including monitors) in the garage, along with my XTs, 286s, 386 SX, and other stuff. BBSes do tend to leave a lot of junk behind.

11. Dave

Retired Moderator

Nov 17, 2003
    Rapidshare?

:p

Dave