AOTS Lobster Battery

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Did anyone see the mini 3 min segment on the lobster battery? They are using a lobster as a battery. Produces .3v but the technology could lead to powering insiline pumps, pacemakers, etc... It was really cool. Look out for it.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Couldn't find one it was on TV this morning. I'll do my best to describe what I saw. I kinda stumbled on it while working so I may have missed something.
1 Take a nice big ole lobster. Then they take this state of the art conductive glass made from glass and gold. They extract some sort of enzymes that go onto the conductive glass slides. They look like golden glass microscope slides. Then they attach the wires. They then use a dremel to cut two slots onto each side of the lobster exoskeleton on the top of the head. They take the gold slides and insert them into the sides of the lobster head. They said since they weren't touching organs and just cutting the exoskeleton the lobster felt no pain. It wasn't wiggling or flapping its tail in distress either. Well the slides conduct by getting a molecule or compound to give it a glucose atom or molecule in which they can convert that to electricity. The MM read 380mv and he said it was 1/10 as much power as a standard battery. I'm sure youtube will have it soon enough.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
So is grandma supposed to lug around an aquarium full of lobsters to power her pacemaker, or have a lobster implanted under her breastbone? That was my initial thought when I read post #1, but I talked myself out of it. I thought "There's no way he's talking about actually getting pacemaker power from a live lobster; it must be some kind of chemical extracted from lobster flesh" but apparently not.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
So is grandma supposed to lug around an aquarium full of lobsters to power her pacemaker, or have a lobster implanted under her breastbone? That was my initial thought when I read post #1, but I talked myself out of it. I thought "There's no way he's talking about actually getting pacemaker power from a live lobster; it must be some kind of chemical extracted from lobster flesh" but apparently not.
No they are gonna adapt it to run off human bioelectricity. Figure were much larger then a lobster and we could get a higher voltage. Also a pacemaker sucks very little power.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I've built pacemakers as a tech in a microelectronics lab, they still need significant voltages. This was during the 80's, and these were very high tech units. 3V at 50pA max (the current averages for the pulses).

Side note, when we first started making these units they promised no CRGs (Customer Returned Goods), they lied.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Of coarse bill but realize this is just a POC. It will take a decade or so to get it right, but this is sure a good start. I would like to know if the lobster/bio-organism started physical activity if the voltage would drop or rise?