anyway to work out the piouts of vga monitor without schematics?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by joesnose, Sep 23, 2013.

1. joesnose

Thread Starter New Member

Sep 23, 2013
    hello all.

i have a vga monitor, or I-glasses to be specific, without the propitiatory cable.

so i wondered is there a way to detect what the pinouts are. it has a 16 pin connecter which includes audio and power.

also if i was able to find out which ones were for power would i then be able to trial and error the RGB Hsync and Vsync or would this likely break something? not really worried about the audio.

thanks for any advice.

2. studiot

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 9, 2007
    The wire colours and pin designations are standard.

• vga.jpg
      vga.jpg
      File size:
      113.8 KB
      Views:
    Metalmann and #12 like this.
  3. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    Ah... he said that it is a proprietary connector and that it includes audio and power. Doesn't sound like a standard VGA pinout map is going to do the trick.

killivolt likes this.
  4. ScottWang

Aug 23, 2012
    If you draw the circuit of interface inside the monitor, it could be more easier to identify the signal of pins.

5. studiot

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 9, 2007
    Yes, but like so many OPs he didn't provide much relevent information, like a description of what he has, leaving us to waste time and effort asking questions.

It may be that the colours used are still standard and the odd ones out can therefore be identified with power and audio.

We won't know until we get some proper detail, photos, sketches whatever.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  6. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    Good points.

He did say it was "I-glasses". Is that some Apple product? Or a generic name for goggle-type displays? Don't know.

7. joesnose

Sep 23, 2013
    Hello, thanks for taking the time to read my post.

Do these pics help at all?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  8. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    Since they don't display, they don't help a hoot.

Try uploading them to the AAC server (Use Go Advanced and then Manage Attachements).

9. joesnose

Sep 23, 2013
    Thanks, took me a few moments to upload to photobucket.

10. ScottWang

Aug 23, 2012
    The center of the last PCB that it looks like the copper foil, if it is the GND, then you can find the +V from other parts, as BJT, MOSFET, Op Amp, you can check does any parts as 7805 ....

An 8 pins parts on the right side of the copper foil, it looks like TL032C.

11. joesnose

Sep 23, 2013
    thanks scottwang,

that is indeed the ground, thankyou kindly.

so I looked at the pinoit you suggested thankyou. however when I use my continuity tester on +v to check which pin it ataches to on the socket where I want to find the pinooy, I don't get tone just numbers on several pins.

so I am a little lost there, my knowledge is very basic.

any more tips.

thanks

12. studiot

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 9, 2007
    Do you have the plug that fits the socket on the board?

If so can you see any of the wires in the lead or is it a flat cable?

If the cable is individual wires can you tell the colours?

13. ScottWang

Aug 23, 2012
    The next step is that you should retype the ID number for all ICs and attach them again, and if we can find the main +5V from any IC, and then you can measuring +V of this IC to all other pins of all ICs, start it from all the 8 pins IC, through this method that it could help you to confirm the +V is a real +V, and then measuring the +V to the connector to find out which pin is the +V, and the resistance of +V from one IC to another IC and to the +V of connector should be Zero Ohm or close to Zero Ohm.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  14. joesnose

Sep 23, 2013
    thanks scottwang, that is indeed the ground. also thankyou for the schematic. however when I test from the v+ on that chip I get all manner of readings on my multimeter but no tone.

I am a novice incase you hadn't noticed.

15. ScottWang

Aug 23, 2012
    The next step is that you should retype the ID number for all ICs and attach them again, did you know what i mean?
    In your PCB of photos has a lots of IC, you need to type the ID number on it, even the three pins IC, and then attach the photos again, this is not so hard right?

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  16. joesnose

Sep 23, 2013
    thanks, sorry I didn't mean to post twice.

studiot - unfortunately I don't have the wire. this is why I am trying to find the pinout.

thanks again scottwang, I understand what you mean.

if I get this powered up what are my chances of finding RGB and hsyn, vsync?

just ask as there is not much point in searching for the power if it does not help. I only have a multimeter by the way, no oscilliscopes here.

thanks.

17. ScottWang

Aug 23, 2012
    Found the GND → type the ID number of all IC → figure out the +V → testing the +V to different IC → Draw the circuit of the interface inside the PCB → trying and testing RGB and hsyn, vsync.

I can't say this is going easy, but because you want to find out the signals of connector, so you have to do something.

18. studiot

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 9, 2007
    Agreed.

Scott keeps asking for a list of the numbers on the ICs. If we can identify the (big) one that provides and controls the raster, someone may be able to get its pinout so you can then trace which terminal on the socket goes there, even through a buffer.

19. ScottWang

Aug 23, 2012
    Yes, that's what I'm want him to do to makes progress for the next step.