Anyone used alibaba?

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I always thought alibaba.com was for mass orders only, but I messed around and created a login and requested quotes for something I was interested in, in a quantity of 1. I have gotten several quotes so far; they are willing to sell only one. I am a little concerned though; some of the quotes are right on about I see on Ebay, and some are so low that they are in the "too good to be true" range (like 60-70% of what's on eBay). What's your experience? Are these guys to be trusted?

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
I do. Atleast every week. I pay via Visa debit.
I can get my money back if the order is screwed up in any way.
Even the seller screwed up with the msg we agreed upon.

They will send you new items or ur money back.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Always thought that, Alibaba, was a strange name for a company. Due to the story, "Alibaba and the 40 thieves". Maybe it doesn't translate the same in Chinese. Or people today don't know the story. Do you have to say, "open sesame", when you order? :)

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
They do a good job. Many of the companies on alibaba.com have eBay stores too. I generally prefer to pay the slightly higher price on eBay and essentially cover the sellers cost of paying paypal/eBay commissions instead of the lower Visa card payment method with alibaba.com.

Yahoo.com owns (owned?) 40 or 50% .