anyone up for this job (need timer-pay available)

dalder

Joined Jun 19, 2009
Hi looking to hire someone to make a very small timer board
that will allow the use of either a 1.5 aaa battery or 9v battery to start and stop a small vibration motor for a period of approx 30 sec, the ability to change duration would be nice but not a priority if it makes the circuit larger. Very limited budget. we would be using this in a small water proof container for a sturgeon conservation program. email me your quotes, we would also acknowledge you on the fraser sturgeon conservation website.

<snip>

Last edited by a moderator:

John Luciani

Joined Apr 3, 2007
The wide range of power supply voltages limits the options for your
project.

You should be able to do this with two TLC551 timers. The TLC551 is
a 555 timer that runs from 1V to 15V. One timer would set the dutycyle
another would set 30second period. You should be able to find
a variety of circuits on the web.

(* jcl *)

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Does the motor run on 1.5V? @ what current?, and you would rather operate the whole thing on 1.5V but could use two batteries, size being the main concern. What are the size limitations of package? Can you explane the motor timing sequence a little more?

dalder

Joined Jun 19, 2009
I dont have all the details on the motor but it comes from a xbox 360 controller we found that hooking up single AAA battery worked just fine.
The speed of the motor with the AAA was fine so we dont need to worry about that. Just need to stop and start it.
This doesnt have to be fancy. Were putting this inside an otterbox waterproof case and using in hopes to attract sturgeon. We run a sturgeon tag and release program and want to see if this can help us catch more effieciently. So all we want to add is the ability for the motor to not be running all the time but to shut off for periods of 30 sec or a minute. The times dont have to be exact. By going on and off the unit would simulate a fish in distress. If we have the ability to modify the times to give us 3 options that would be great but need to keep this as small as possible so it fits inside the small waterproof case.

dalder

Joined Jun 19, 2009
I dont have all the details on the motor but it comes from a xbox 360 controller we found that hooking up single AAA battery worked just fine.
The speed of the motor with the AAA was fine so we dont need to worry about that. Just need to stop and start it.
This doesnt have to be fancy. Were putting this inside an otterbox waterproof case and using in hopes to attract sturgeon. We run a sturgeon tag and release program and want to see if this can help us catch more effieciently. So all we want to add is the ability for the motor to not be running all the time but to shut off for periods of 30 sec or a minute. The times dont have to be exact. By going on and off the unit would simulate a fish in distress. If we have the ability to modify the times to give us 3 options that would be great but need to keep this as small as possible so it fits inside the small waterproof case.

dalder

Joined Jun 19, 2009
can you build this and how much ??

John Luciani

Joined Apr 3, 2007
I did some work on a haptic compass with vibrating motors. Here are
links to a couple of motors that we looked at ---

http://pagermotors.com/index_files/Products/DiskL/DiskL.htm
http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=8449

I am not sure how much current your motor draws.
Both of these motors are 75mA. Using a AAA battery which has a capacity
of 1250mAh at 50% duty cylce (30 seconds on and 30 seconds off) gives
you a battery life of around 33 hours (1250mAh / 75mA / 0.5).

If you have room in the Otter box I would go for a larger battery.
AA is 2900mAh. C is 8350mAh and D is 20500mAh.

(* jcl *)

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Here is a 30/60 sec timer that is tested, & ready to ship.I agree with John Luciani on battery selection, uses one AA, & one N in series. V loss due to transistor is a measily 40 mVs.

Attachments