Anyone own an Android OS Tablet PC?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Does anyone here own an Android OS Tablet PC?

I bicycle tour. Normally I use a GPS with maps that has served me well but the screen is very small and it makes planning very difficult.

I was considering buying a tablet PC for both mapping and logging of my trips.

I have read that there is an app for Android tablets and it will cache Google Maps when you reach a hot spot or 3G connection. That way you have the maps when or if you lose a connection.

I probably wouldn't spring for 3G so for sure I would be losing a connection pretty quick once I hit the road.

But I don't want to worry about hitting a hotspot at all. With my GPS, I can pre load the GPS with the maps in the area I will be touring.

Does anyone know if the Android powered tablets have a similar feature? Or if you have a tablet but do not know, would someone be willing to try the Google Maps App?

BillO

Joined Nov 24, 2008
I've been thinking of getting one of these myself. From hat I've read they are very capable devices and at about one quarter the price of the stuff coming from the fruit companies, are very attractive.

The only thing holding me back is that I have never actually seen one or spoken with an actual user.

sp00nix

Joined Apr 10, 2010
I use an Archos 5 tablet, its one of the first and still runs 1.6. As for google maps, i have not used it since it (at the time i tried) needs a constant network connection. It does have options to install full blown navigation software. I think N Drive is about $30USD

I still use it for daily internet stuff. its bigger then my phone.

muven

Joined May 29, 2011
Why not check the many new " xpad's " with android fw. I know of motorola xoom and the higher android version is the better. V 3.0 ( Gingerbread ) is the best, I recond!