Anyone know what this is?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by bdiddie, Sep 12, 2010.

1. bdiddie

Thread Starter New Member

Sep 7, 2010
    I'm trying to figure out how this circuit works.

Its a LM311 Comparator circuit, but what I can't figure out is,what this part is on the the output leg of the LM311.

The only marking I can see on it are : WX223KG and it has a plastic sort of casing with two legs; one goes to Ground(-) the other is from the output of the LM311.

Here is the picture
    [​IMG]

2. LTX71CM

May 23, 2010
  3. LTX71CM

May 23, 2010
    At second glance, doesn't the silkscreen for that part say C2?

4. Kermit2

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 5, 2010
    'WX' is either a manufacturer code, or a code for the dielectric material used in the cap.

223 is .022 micro farad.

'K' is +/- 10% of the value in tolerance

'G' is a temperature maximum(not sure on the value of these letters) but I think this one is 125 deg. C

5. hgmjr

Jan 28, 2005
    I agree with those who have identified the part as a capacitor. The reference designator on the board is a good clue.

hgmjr

6. bdiddie

Sep 7, 2010

No I don't have a multimeter with a cap test feature. When I posted in the other forum, I didn't feel comfortable with the reply's. I was looking for a better break down of how they determined the coding or at the very least a possible manufacture name, as I have never seen a capacitor like this.

Now I'm thinking that the voltage comparator chip might not be a LM311 as there is no pullup resistor on the output; only this cap!

7. DonQ

May 6, 2009
  8. bdiddie

Sep 7, 2010

Thanks DonQ; exactly what I was looking for!!!