Anyone know of any LED Art service? I want to make a logo out of LEDs...

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by zero_coke, Nov 15, 2012.

1. zero_coke

Thread Starter Active Member

Apr 22, 2009
    I basically have a logo that I want built using LEDs only. The logo has 3 different colours and I want very small LEDs (about 100 in total) to be used to make the logo and when I apply a voltage I want it to light up.

Anyone know of any service that does this? Or how to build one??

2. nerdegutta

Dec 15, 2009
    Do you have some specifications for the LED's and the layout?

3. zero_coke

Apr 22, 2009
    No I just want the LED display to look like the Logo and I want small LEDs to be used so the logo looks more fine and detailed. I would assume about ~100-200 LEDs should be sufficient for this logo. The logo is 15cm x 15cm and has 3 colours only.

4. nerdegutta

Dec 15, 2009
    OK, so we have 15cm x 15cm. What does the logo look like? Which color does the LEDs have, or is it RGB LEDs? SMD, 3mm, 5mm or 10mm LEDs?

You have to tell more, or use Google to find out for yourself...

5. zero_coke

Apr 22, 2009
    I'm sorry gutta, this is the first time I'm ever doing something like this and I'm searching all over google and I couldn't find any service. Maybe I thought you guys here knew of some services.

It's a simple logo that is just letters and has a background. It needs 3 colours that are not RGB...perhaps a mixture, I can find the exact colour code of them and see if there exists LEDs of all colour types.

What do you mean by 3mm, 5mm, 10mm? I need the finest LEDs so the logo is more clear and crystal. I don't want to use big LEDs.

6. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    It is called an LED flat screen display. You can buy it off the shelf.

7. zero_coke

Apr 22, 2009
    I don't want an LED display MrChips. I want the LEDs visible and something basic like on a piece of wood.

8. nerdegutta

Dec 15, 2009
    Then you want 3mm LEDs or SMD LEDs. What does this logo look like?

9. KJ6EAD

Apr 30, 2011
  10. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
  11. elec_mech

Nov 12, 2008
    Let's see,
    • 100 - 200 LEDs
    • Clear display
    • 15cm x 15cm (150mm x 150mm)
    • Mounted on simple material such as wood or plastic
    If you want to keep it simple, then thru-hole LEDs are probably the way to go. SMDs are small, but given the number of LEDs and the size of your surface, these are unnecessary, plus they'd have to go onto a large PCB which will add significant cost to this project.

If you go with standard thru-hole LEDs, your choices are 3, 5, or 10mm which refer to the diameter of the LED. You probably don't want them spaced too closely or too far apart, but you have to decide that. Not accounting for a border (assuming LEDs are placed on very edge of 15cm x 15cm mount):
    • 100 x 3mm LEDs will be spaced 13.3mm apart
    • 100 x 5mm LEDs will be spaced 11.1mm apart
    • 100 x 10mm LEDs will be spaced 5.5mm apart
    • 150 x 3mm LEDs will be spaced 10.4mm apart
    • 150 x 5mm LEDs will be spaced 8.2mm apart
    • 150 x 10mm LEDs will be spaced 2.7mm apart
    • 200 x 3mm LEDs will be spaced 8.3mm apart
    • 200 x 5mm LEDs will be spaced 6.2mm apart
    • 200 x 10mm LEDs will be spaced 0.8mm apart
    One must keep in mind heat that will be generated, moreso if the LEDs are spaced closely together.

How far away will this be viewed from? This will determine if you'll be using diffused LEDs for up close viewing or super-bright LEDs which will for far away. With a 15cm square, I imagine you'll want the former - it's hard to make out details from a small surface area no matter how bright it is.

If you decide to use LEDs and place them on a surface, I can help you if you'd like. I do like KJ6EAD's suggestion too. Depends on how you want it to look and how much you want to spend to do it.

12. KJ6EAD

Apr 30, 2011
    Another method that might have some appeal is an engraved laminate sign backlit with LEDs. You can get laminate with a translucent diffuser front layer and an opaque black back layer then have the black engraved to create your design. The front surface remains smooth. Ask about this technique at any sign shop.

zero_coke likes this.
  13. zero_coke

Apr 22, 2009
    @Elec_Mech: Yes, I just want to basically show my school logo on a piece of wood or something using through-hole LEDs. I'll use the smallest LEDs (3mm) and space them as close as possible. Is it possible to somehow print my school logo on some board and then have the holes already made so all i have to do is just pluck the LEDs in and wire them at the back?

14. elec_mech

Nov 12, 2008
    Sort of. You can paste and size your logo into a program, then draw correctly sized holes on the logo. Then you can print it out, tape it to a board, then use a drill with the correct sized bit to drill your holes. The printout will also help you place your colored LEDs.

Personally, I use Visio for something like this. You can get a similar program for free from OpenOffice.org called Draw I believe. I can take crack at it if you'll post your logo.

I wouldn't suggest putting the LEDs too close together - you don't want it to get hot if left on for a long time.

Additional needed info:
    • What colors do you need?
    • How do you plan to power this?
    • Where would you order parts from or what country are you in? This helps us offer good places to buy parts.

The power supply and LEDs will help determine the best way to wire this. Keep in mind you'll need resistors for the LEDs.

You can use wood for the base as long as it's about 5mm or less in thickness. I like to use plastic, sometimes acrylic although it can easily crack while drilling if you're not careful.

15. zero_coke

Apr 22, 2009
    Hi elec_mech, you're awesome. I have attached the logo to this post. I want to mimic the school logo colours using the LEDs but I dont think thats possible (not sure if LEDs come only in RGB colours or in any colour I can get). I live in Canada and I plan on powering this using standard DC 12V if possible.

16. elec_mech

Nov 12, 2008
    You can get LEDs in a range of colors these days. RBGs are great if you need to change colors, but I don't think you need them here.

Looks like you'll need a white and two different blues. The latter might be a little difficult to find, but I''ll do some looking.

Your logo, as shown, is rectangular. Are going to attempt to stick with a square or change it to better suit the logo? If the latter, would you prefer 15cm to be the max height or length?

17. Six_Shooter

Nov 10, 2012
    Why do you want to use LEDs for the pixelated look?

I would use white LEDs behind a coloured plexiglass/acrylic, to get a more evenly illuminated look.

18. KJ6EAD

Apr 30, 2011
    The two most readily available blue colors are 470nm and 430nm. Neither match your logo colors exactly.

Now that I've seen your logo, I think the engraved sign backlit with LEDs might work well. If you're set on using bare LEDs, consider mounting them on corrugated polypropylene sign board. An appropriately sized sharpened thin wall metal tube chucked in a drill will cut very clean, snug-fitting holes for the LEDs.

For reference, see the link but you should be able to find the material at plastic shops and sign shops.
    http://corrugatedplastics.net/

Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
    zero_coke likes this.
  19. elec_mech

Nov 12, 2008
    Okay, here is a first cut at it.

I selected 3mm LEDs, spaced about 4.76mm (3/16in) apart center-to-center, leaving about 1.6mm (1/16in) gap between the LEDs. Any less and the material you drill through will probably give between the LEDs. 320 LEDs total, so you may want to change the looks or size a bit.

The length is 15cm, the height is about 4.6cm. You'll still want a border, so overall dimensions would be a minimum of 16cm x 5.5cm.

I think you could use a 470nm wavelength LED for the dark blue, a 505nm LED for the light blue (called aqua, bordering on green).

The only downside is I couldn't find any diffused aqua LEDs and diffused white probably aren't too common either. This leaves you with very bright LEDs that can be blinding. You can sand each LED to help diffuse the light a little, but they'll still be pretty bright. Instead, you can put a translucent piece of plastic, even wax paper, over them which will help a lot.

There are a number of places you can get these. To keep it simple, I just went to superbrightleds.com and found these:

RL3-W3030

RL3-B2030

RL3-A4018

The aqua LED has a narrower viewing angle than the others, so it might not show up as well when viewing from the side.

Let me know what you think.

zero_coke likes this.
  20. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

You can make the viewing angle all around the led by sanding the leds.
    This can be done with fine sanding paper or a glass fiber pencil.
    That way the light of the led will be scattered by the sanded surface.

Bertus

zero_coke likes this.