Anyone know a good place to get germanium diodes in bulk for a decent price?

Rolland B. Heiss

Joined Feb 4, 2015
I'm looking for a source of bulk germanium diodes (without having to salvage old radios) because I don't want to pay a dollar a piece for them at a certain electronics store I refuse to mention by name. Anyone know a decent source?

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
There are different kinds, so, just any germanium diode, or do you need it for a specific application?
For reselling? I didnt try because I dont know enough about them, so, maybe they dont work well for small radios, and I cant do the testing now.

Most important:

-permissible leakage current
-Max. Frequency

Leakage can vary greatly (also known as reverse current).

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
DigiKey has the 1N34A : http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?vendor=0&keywords=1N34A

It is a bit pricey. RadioShack used to have it too, but my search this AM didn't find it.

John
Radio Shack hasn't carried them for a few years.

Occasionally I go into a Radio Shack (usually in a mall if I happen to be walking by with a few minutes to kill) and ask if they carry a germanium diode. The results are mildly amusing as the clueless people who claim "We've got answers" make things up out of whole cloth. I went in awhile back and asked if they stocked 2N3906 transistors and one person said, "We don't stock that brand of cell phone," and the other person, who I think was the manager, said, "We sold our last one last week." To which I replied that, "I'm not too picky, I just need a basic transistor, what types DO you have?" They looked at each other and hemmed and hawed, so I asked, "Do you know what a transistor is?" The one who I think was the manager said, "Sure, I'm just not sure if we have any basic ones anymore, most of them now have lots of features that you may not want," and started looking over the cameras that they had on display. So I went to the one drawer of electronic parts they had and opened it and pulled out one of the two or three transistors that they had (at an outrageous price) and said, this is what I am looking for. He actually had the gall to say, "Oh, well if you had been more specific I could have shown you right where they were." So I remarked on the price and he said, "You won't find it anyplace else for less." I pointed out that DigiKey sells them for one-tenth that price and he pointed out that I probably couldn't make it to DigiKey before they closed since it was already getting to be Rush Hour. Clearly the guy had probably never heard of DigiKey.

Yep, they've got answers.

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
Radio Shack hasn't carried them for a few years.

Occasionally I go into a Radio Shack (usually in a mall if I happen to be walking by with a few minutes to kill) and ask if they carry a germanium diode. The results are mildly amusing as the clueless people who claim "We've got answers" make things up out of whole cloth. I went in awhile back and asked if they stocked 2N3906 transistors and one person said, "We don't stock that brand of cell phone," and the other person, who I think was the manager, said, "We sold our last one last week." To which I replied that, "I'm not too picky, I just need a basic transistor, what types DO you have?" They looked at each other and hemmed and hawed, so I asked, "Do you know what a transistor is?" The one who I think was the manager said, "Sure, I'm just not sure if we have any basic ones anymore, most of them now have lots of features that you may not want," and started looking over the cameras that they had on display. So I went to the one drawer of electronic parts they had and opened it and pulled out one of the two or three transistors that they had (at an outrageous price) and said, this is what I am looking for. He actually had the gall to say, "Oh, well if you had been more specific I could have shown you right where they were." So I remarked on the price and he said, "You won't find it anyplace else for less." I pointed out that DigiKey sells them for one-tenth that price and he pointed out that I probably couldn't make it to DigiKey before they closed since it was already getting to be Rush Hour. Clearly the guy had probably never heard of DigiKey.

Yep, they've got answers.
Priceless.

They received training: memorize phrases from a cue sheet which are highly appropiate for some kind of imaginary customers.

Winner here: The institute who sold them the staff training package.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
It wasn't always like that. Really!
That's for sure. I even remember the days when you could go into a Radio Shack and, more often than not, talk to someone that really knew their stuff. They hired people that had an interest in electronics and, particularly, ham radio. Back in the mid-90's there was a Radio Shack venture called TechAmerica that started out fantastic -- it seemed like everyone that worked there was crazy knowledgeable about tech stuff and they had a technical books section that was to die for. I drove 80 miles just to go there usually once or twice a month. But it didn't last long -- the quality of the employees slid rapidly and their tech books section got smaller and smaller every time I went there until, after a year or so, it just wasn't worth bothering with (even had I lived across the street).

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I walked into the store and the sales associate (whatever they call them) asked if he can help. I said yes, I'm looking for a stereo-to-mono 3.5mm adapter.
He replied that he didn't think they carried any.

I just calmly walked over to the rack and took one off the hook. Paid for it silently and walked out the door.

Rolland B. Heiss

Joined Feb 4, 2015
How many do you need?
At the very least 6 but it would be great to find a cheap way to get 50 or more without having to put an ad out on Craigslist offering to take any old radios people no longer want or need off of their hands for free because that wouldn't really be free in relation to the gasoline and the mileage my car would use up, as well as time expended! ;)

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
At the very least 6 but it would be great to find a cheap way to get 50 or more without having to put an ad out on Craigslist offering to take any old radios people no longer want or need off of their hands for free because that wouldn't really be free in relation to the gasoline and the mileage my car would use up, as well as time expended! ;)
I have some old boards with Ge diodes on them. I can unsolder them but the leads will be a bit short. No charge.

Rolland B. Heiss

Joined Feb 4, 2015
I have some old boards with Ge diodes on them. I can unsolder them but the leads will be a bit short. No charge.
That would be fantastic and more than appreciated but at the same time I wouldn't be able to keep from feeling somewhat bad in the midst of expectation, considering the time and whatever postage however small in value you would be willing to expend on my behalf. I'm not declining your kind offer however, I'm just typing out my mixed emotions. If you are willing to do that then perhaps I may have something lying around that you could use which I could eventually send your way?

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
That would be fantastic and more than appreciated but at the same time I wouldn't be able to keep from feeling somewhat bad in the midst of expectation, considering the time and whatever postage however small in value you would be willing to expend on my behalf. I'm not declining your kind offer however, I'm just typing out my mixed emotions. If you are willing to do that then perhaps I may have something lying around that you could use which I could eventually send your way.
Not wanting to speak for MrChips, but I suspect he is like me and many other techies -- we will do little things like this without any expectation of anything in return directly, but hope that you will pay it forward someday by doing something similar for someone else, just as we are paying forward the small (and not so small) kindnesses that we have received along our own journey.

Rolland B. Heiss

Joined Feb 4, 2015
Not wanting to speak for MrChips, but I suspect he is like me and many other techies -- we will do little things like this without any expectation of anything in return directly, but hope that you will pay it forward someday by doing something similar for someone else, just as we are paying forward the small (and not so small) kindnesses that we have received along our own journey.
Well said WBahn. I understand exactly what you are saying as should be evidenced in my reply to MrChips.