Anyone interested in a little job?

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by noidea, Jun 19, 2009.

1. noidea

Thread Starter New Member

Jun 19, 2009
    I need something made up. If anyone is interested in it please PM me how much you would charge for such a project.

Im trying to make a device that clears the driveway from snow. And I control it from the inside of the house, so I need:

A transmitter device with a single button, not the on/off button. The one you must hold down. This transmitter must be really small.

The receiver will have a motor that is controlled by a battery. 6v-12v. Havent worked that out yet. Basically you hold the button of the transmitter and the motor spins.

The range must be 2-4m. It cant have any interference from anything else. Both items need a off and on switch.

thanks.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2009
  2. hwy101

May 23, 2009
    Get a contractor to come to your house, dig up your driveway and install heating elements, it's completely solid state, no motors, no moving parts, no transmitter (no interference) no batteries to worry about.
    http://www.warmzone.com/heated-driveways.asp

3. StayatHomeElectronics

Sep 25, 2008
    Are you looking for something just for your house or to make as a product?

4. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    And the spinning motor does what...exactly? Are you asking for just the electronics or are you asking for the whole package? How wide is the driveway, how long is the driveway? What are the dimensions of the device? How much does it weigh? How much snow does it need to handle? What do you do if it becomes stuck and can't move or backup?

To be honest I don't think you've thought this through at all. For one protoype unit I'd consider $30,000.00 for the whole mechanical and electrical package. Somewhat less for the electronics alone.

One other thing. Be advised that ANY suffciently powerful RF source can interfere with a nearby receiver regardles of frequency or modulation method. The non-interference requirement is a complete non-starter.

5. noidea

Jun 19, 2009
    wow, never seen before, but, dont like the idea. That would give me a huge eletro bill...

6. noidea

Jun 19, 2009
    Thanks for your replies.

The thing is just for me. I like building things. I kinda like the idea of having a huge mechanical contraption moving around. To me its like art in a way. I know strange.

I can put it all together but I need a motor(belt attached) to run it. What I have asked for is something I cant do, just wondering if anyone here is able to make something like that. Doesnt need a case or anything, nothing special.

Can anyone help me?

Last edited: Jun 19, 2009
  7. steinar96

Apr 18, 2009
    Your project is 100% doable. But the time and money that would go into such a thing could easily be alot more then simply installing heating elements.

Designing it would take hours upon hours, testing it would also take alot of time. Buying the materials and designing the chassis for the device would also take alot of work.

Project like this would be optimal for you as a hobbyist if you knew how to do it yourself. Attempting to hire someone to do this for you or even part of it will be expensive since the design would take some time.

If you have a friend that can do electronics and another that can do mechanical design you would be best off teaming up and doing this together as a pet project. Why you might ask, simply because i doubt someone will be willing to invest hours of his time designing this without getting paid and hours of work do add up to a nice bill.

8. StayatHomeElectronics

Sep 25, 2008
    It sounds very interesting and I would love to have any sort of contraption moving the snow off of my driveway if it meant I could sit inside while it was being done. My son is only 5 so I have a few years before I get to rest on a snowy morning.

I would first recommend that you get the "huge mechanical contraption" working before you attempt the transmitter/receiver link. You may find more things to control and that you require more than just a single button on the transmitter.

It is better to design it in the first time around than to pay someone to figure out what you need. Also, there are Arduino and BasicStamp processors that have been made easy to program for these types of things. Parallax.com has small, not incredibly small, transmitters and receivers that can be integrated with the processors for the link.

Do you have any experience with electronics and such?

Have you ever read Make magazine? This sounds like something you would see or read about at a Maker Faire.

9. noidea

Jun 19, 2009
    Once again, thanks for your replies.

@StayatHomeElectronics, no never heard of them. But I live in the Czech Republic.

@steinar96 makes sense in what your saying. But doing things like this is my hobby, but excluding the eletro part.

What would it cost for such a project? (eletric part Im talking about).

10. steinar96

Apr 18, 2009
    The electronic components themselfs shouldnt be that much, well within the wallet of the avarage hobbyist. The proplem is paying someone to do the electronics for you since circuits for RF recieving/transmitting and for control over the device take time to design, build and test according to the device specs.

So while the time is free (your own time or someone doing the project with you) the mechanical part should be the most expensive part i think. Thats why i recommend you try to team up with someone with the electronic knowledge, simply because the hourly wage of someone hired to build the circuits would make up for a hefty bill :p

11. kubeek

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 20, 2005
    You can simply use two of these RF modules, that will make your life a lot easier. Or a simple RC transmitter/receiver for models.

As for the mechanical part, if you have enough money, you can modify a snow-blower to have steering and throttle :)

12. StayatHomeElectronics

Sep 25, 2008
    As kubeek states above, using the controller and electronics from a remote control car would probably be the best way to go, at least to start. That way you would already have the ability to communicate remotely and you have some sort of control for a motor. You will probably have to increase the power capacity of the motor circuit, but the communication is there.

13. nanovate

Distinguished Member

May 7, 2007
    You would also need to think of safety... would not want to kill or maim a neighbor's child or pet.