Anyone have experience with Bluegiga stuff?

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
So I got a call from a former employer and he wants me to hook up his current product to this bluegiga stuff. Says they have a bluetooth module that will run 1000 meters? I though BT was Class 1 or 2 and maxed out at 30m? Also how hard you think it will be to hook up their long rang model (WT41)http://www.bluegiga.com/WT41_Long_Range_Bluetooth_Module to a pic16LF877A? Also he keeps saying it runs on ASCII. Is this referring to the data sent? Or how its programmed? I'm old at pics, new at BT. We also plan on using one of their gateways to start till we have time to make our own. Basically once a timer counts down from 30 min I need it to trigger and sent the BT to the gateway. Are these guys good? Should I look at someone else? Anyone used their crap before?

Arm_n_Legs

Joined Mar 7, 2007
I use the bluegiga WT11a with a PIC18. I use it like a serial comm. Simply just hook up the TX/RX between the PIC18 and the WT11. Refer to the iwrap manual for all the commands necesary to configure the bluetooth module.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
So its pretty straight forwards then? They were gonna use the WT11 but I wondered about the range and if it would cover a full house. Our clients will be pretty wealthy and may have large houses. The WT41 boast's 1000m LOS and 800m NLOS. Which seems like it would cover a large house or commercial wing.

be80be

Joined Jul 5, 2008
They look good I talked to their support And he sent me A data sheet and Program manual like 20 minutes later I uses SPI also and UART plus you can use I/O on the thing
And it's 1000 meters Its like Wifi and bluetooth in one but you don't have to no the bluetooth api it's hiding You just send it simple commands.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Sounds pretty good. I'll start studying the datasheets. My money just got deposited so I can finally actually look at the datasheets and tech specs.