Anyone have a space Oscilloscope?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by pixelsnpings, Dec 17, 2012.

1. pixelsnpings

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 3, 2010
    Hi guys! I'm just getting onto the hobby and I need an oscilloscope. I'm trying to stay fairly cheep - <=$200 if I can. I'm looking more toward a digital oscilloscope like the OWON PDS5022S or similar because I'm going t be doing alot of uControler work and I would prefer to have the frequency and printed on the display. I'm sorry if I sound picky. Thanks for your help!

Edit: Also, Mu funds will be available in about two weeks. Sorry, Semi-monthly payroll. :(

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    My opinion is, Don't skimp on tools, then take good care of them. If you get a good scope, it might be the last one you ever buy. I bought mine new, 35 years ago, and it still does what I need a scope to do.

Of course, I'm the kind of person that still has the 3/8 drive socket set I bought in 1970.

3. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    Roger that. I took out a 1-year loan with the scope as collateral in 1981. I still have the Tektronix 2236 that I bought for $2350.00

If that sounds like a lot of money today I can assure it was a "small fortune" in 1981.

4. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    I still use my first multimeter, AVO Multiminor MK4, purchased 30th Nov 1967 as written on the receipt.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  5. Austin Clark

Dec 28, 2011
    To get a sub 200 dollar scope worth your money might be difficult (unless you get lucky somewhere). Have you considered a logic analyzer? It might be all you need. It's not the BEST solution by far, but it should get you by.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    I don't. My first multimeter was a Heathkit vacuum tube voltmeter! My Fluke 27 would beat it up and take its lunch money.

7. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    That's OK if you are only interested in digital logic signals. If you want to see analog signals you will need an oscilloscope.

The OP might also consider a PC USB oscilloscope adapter.

8. Brownout

Jan 10, 2012
    I got some used Tektronix o-scopes from e-bay for <$200. Be prepared to make some repairs yourself. Fortunately, some of the service manuals are posted online. Ask the seller for exactly what problems the scopes have, and if he has the manuals.

9. Austin Clark

Dec 28, 2011
    Even doing digital work requires an actual scope at times unfortunately :(
    The OP mentioned uControllers exclusively, so HOPEFULLY it's all he'll need.

I didn't even think about USB scopes. For your money, I don't think they're worth it, but I suppose it is worth looking at if your options are limited.

10. pixelsnpings

Feb 3, 2010
    I appreciate the thoughts guys. I'm into robotics. So the bulk of the work i'll be doing will be digital. However, I know I'll be working with audio signals and even radio signals at times. I have a few projects on paper that are sensitive to frequency precision. Lol, not even sure if the designs would work but the fun is in finding out! So i'm working to get the right tools! All hobby, really wont be making a living at it.

Question, is the waveform type the only difference between a logic analyzer and an oscilloscope?

11. Brownout

Jan 10, 2012
    On a simplistic level, the logic analyzer provides only time and binary level information, while a 'scope shows the actualy waveform. But, real instruments are much more complex, so look at all the features of each instrument. Go over all the specs, and don't forget to look at PC based instruments, which are gaining in market share for a good reason.

12. pixelsnpings

Feb 3, 2010
    Thanks Brownout, I appreciate the explanation.