Anyone else running Chrome?

Discussion in 'Computing and Networks' started by beenthere, Sep 3, 2008.

1. beenthere

Thread Starter Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    Right after the oddness with Firefox, I've put on the beta of Google Chrome. Seems to do just fine. Anyone else using it?

2. Dave

Retired Moderator

Nov 17, 2003
    I had a play around with it, but didn't like the fact that it installs the Google Updater that runs at boot-time asynchronously to the browser, which means that it runs even when the browser is not running, and it uses the Windows Task Scheduler to periodically check for updates (and what knows else!) when the system goes idle.

On the browser front, I really like its minimalist approach, and it is very quick. It is built on a old build of Webkit so is vulnerable to "Carpet Bomb" attacks which when coupled to a Windows idiosyncrasy can result in unwanted code execution. Not ready for the big time IMO.

Although you have probably never considered it, have a look at Opera (http://www.opera.com/) FF and Chrome have borrowed from Opera who are the real web browser innovators. It is very fast (IME more so than FF and Chrome) and has a security record other browsers can only dream of. It is packed full of features and comes in a download size smaller than FF. Have a look if you are interested.

Dave

3. studiot

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 9, 2007
    When comparing 'security records' of browsers (or anything else) remember to compare like with like. Browser security is heavily settings dependent.

Which house is more secure?

House A has a Borg digital front door lock, but someone has left the door open.

House B has a wobbly old Yale lock, but the front door is closed.

4. Dave

Retired Moderator

Nov 17, 2003
    Absolutely, arguably the weakest part of a web browser are plugins and the plugin architecture. However I am talking about vulnerabilities in the core package which can constitute a direct attack vector on the application itself.

Dave

5. studiot

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 9, 2007
  6. Dave

Retired Moderator

Nov 17, 2003
    Yes, I have seen the concernes expressed Googles "rights". As far as I know the verbage has been changed:

I am more concerned with the Google Updater which makes itself feel a little to comfortable on your system - start-up key to the registry and a scheduled task to check for updates when the system goes idle. The Updater runs at system boot time and runs even when the browser is not in use. Furthermore, when you uninstall Chrome the updater is not removed and continues its behaviour - i.e. runs at start-up and periodically checks for updates. This requires manual intervention to fix.

Btw, as long as discussion on software is in the appropriate forum then people should feel free to discuss it - we all use computers after all so it is a point of interest.

Dave

7. Lm741

Sep 2, 2008
    "Some of the services are supported by advertising revenue and may display advertisements and promotions. These advertisements may be targeted to the content of information stored on the services, queries made through the services or other information.

The manner, mode and extent of advertising by Google on the services are subject to change without specific notice to you."

So basically they'll have pop ups and as many ads as they want?

I currently use Opera aswell, I have no issues with it, so i'll stick with it!

8. Tahmid

Jul 2, 2008
    Hi,
    I have used Opera. Its good. But for some reason, I feel like using FireFox, probably because of its security system which I belive is truly amazing, better than Opera's.
    Anyways, I'm not the judge, I am just voicing my opinion.

9. beenthere

Thread Starter Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    I am sort of evaluating Chrome. It seems to be awkward to use, but may be ok in a secondary school environment.

Firefox feels better, despite some oddness with bookmarks.

10. Dave

Retired Moderator

Nov 17, 2003
    Tahmid, use what is best for you. That is the beauty of software.

That said, I urge you to compare the security records of Firefox and Opera at Secunia (delve into the records from FF v2 and Opera v8 to get a larger picture, Opera 9.5 and FF3 are quite new).

Opera is famed for its security record (and speed ;))

Dave