Anybody recognize this adware?

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I don't have any protection on this computer because I don't usually use it for much else than coming here. Today I found crap plastered all over AAC. I'm pretty sure it's not part of the site, and IIRC someone else has posted a pic that looked just like this in the past.

I would like to erradicate this thing without installing any software, but I have to identify it first. Anybody recognize it? I already checked my plugins in chrome and didn't see anything there.

Attachments

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I hope you didn't get it from my MIT URL I posted on LI-FI? I noticed lifi in the search bar.

If so, I"ll remove it.
No, I saw your post about lifi on my phone while out & about, but my phone wouldn't load the link page properly. So I went to the computer some time later, when I remembered it, and didn't see your thread so I searched it. This crap came up before I ever found your thread.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
No, I saw your post about lifi on my phone while out & about, but my phone wouldn't load the link page properly. So I went to the computer some time later, when I remembered it, and didn't see your thread so I searched it. This crap came up before I ever found your thread.
Whew, I use a Mac so I don't encounter stuff Windows gets anymore.

I spent a couple hrs with Malwarebytes on my wife's work computer today. I removed several programs she didn't need. Like 2 virus programs running together and some backup programs that are useless.

She's a Director at a Daycare, she gets Teachers using her Machine because they have nothing in the rooms. e.g. downloading crap they have no idea what they are or why they need it? Go figure. I got it up and going now, she's happy.

I was going to defrag her computer but, I couldn't find the utility in Accessories > Sys tools? I'm not sure what version of Windows she's running, anyway she's better off than before, since I'm not paid to do it.

I left the Windows version AntiVirus Program on the Machine, I guess it's what they like to use? I don't know what's best anymore now that I'm running a Mac.

Good luck:)

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
So far, that seems to be one of the benefits of my Chromebook. No malware, and therefore no anti-virus protection required. I hope it stays that way.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Go to your programs and features (either through the control panel or Computer) and select "Uninstall or change a program". Chances are you have some program there called "adsense" or whatever. You'll probably know it when you see it. Uninstall it, and be sure to remove all settings associated with it. I still recommend installing spybot. I know you said you don't want to install software, but spybot search & destroy is definitely worth the time.

Good luck strantor!

Matt