Any use for old 68HC05 programmer?

keithostertag

Joined Oct 4, 2012
I recently bought (at a HAMfest) an old Motorola M68HC05PGMR board with complete documentation. It even came with the IASM05 software on 5.25 floppy! This is (evidently) the original board from 1989, not the M68HC05PGMR-2. it also came with one programable chip, but not with a UV source for erasing.

I have no experience with embedded systems, and very little with any type of programming. I bought this just as a lark, thinking it might be fun to play with.

I anticipate trouble with this floppy- even if I can find a 5.25 drive, these old floppies are often damaged/not readable. I googled around and it appears the IASM05 software is not to be found anywhere. AFAIK, the later versions are proprietary. Does someone know of an easily available software that will work with this older version programmer?

In your opinion, is this board and documentation completely worthless? Would you recommend my not bothering with it due to its obsolescence? I.e., is it so primitive/incompatible by today's standards that it is now nothing more than a museum piece?

Thanks,
Keith Ostertag

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
In MY opinion, yes it's a useless museum piece.

The only real reason to own an operating programmer is to program chips that you really want to use. :)

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Yes flog it on Ebay and at least cover your loss. I sense that for you this thing will just be a dust collecting paperweight. Do not bring into your house somethimg that you for sure will put in the bin some years later. It is reason why that item ended up on a at a HAMfest. They are of no use anymore to anyone. Take this from a a rehabilitated hoarder:rolleyes:

keithostertag

Joined Oct 4, 2012
Hah! Yes, a (so far minor) hoarder...

Years/decades ago I couldn't afford these things, now that they are so-cheap-to-be-almost-free I find it difficult to pass them by. Same reason I collect analog oscilloscopes and the occasional vintage calculator...

Thanks guys,
Keith

techristian

Joined Aug 27, 2013
I'm from the old assembler world. I programmed both Z80 and 6502 before. The only real purpose for such a thing might be to introduce someone to machine language. They may find it a bit easier when they don't have to configure pin I/O . It may also become an antique of sorts.

Dan